MagSafe a normal laptop

Bam Bam

Dec 26, 2016, 10:23:30 PM12/26/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I have a problem, i have 14 nieces and nephews all with their own laptops, almost all at some point have managed to break the barrel jacks inside the laptop.
I have resorted to attaching some cable to where the jack was connected and putting en external connector on it.

Unfortunately one particular niece cant seem to avoid damaging the cable.

So the answer is a Apple MagSafe style adapter.  But no one makes these for normal laptops.

FOr those of you that dont know, its basically a magnetic interface that allows the laptop to charge instead of a barrel jack.

On Instructables there is a hack to make such a adapter: http://www.pcworld.com/article/189498/Make_Your_Laptop_MagSafe_With_DIY_Mod.html
But it seems a bit too amature for my liking.

I know on ebay there are a number of sellers selling magnetic USB charging cables for phones, they come in lightening cables, typc-c and micro usb derivatives,

So i have one of 2 options:
1. Hack a USB connector magnetic attachment for the laptop (BUt is this safe, can it take the power a laptop adapter will put through it?)
2. Get a MagSafe male and female units, hack the existing power connector.

Any ideas?

Message has been deleted

Bam Bam

Dec 26, 2016, 11:03:23 PM12/26/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Ive decided i want to try something like this: http://www.xodustech.com/projects/asus-zenbook-magsafe

I figure i can buy a magsafe power jack:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121714605589 then retro fit it to the laptop.

Then buy just the cable bit, chop the head of the existing adapter and somehow retro fit that to her existing adapter.

Thoughts?

timpin .

Dec 27, 2016, 3:47:13 AM12/27/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
It’s not clear whether the different magsafe adapters have the same configuration (i.e. if the difference in appearance is merely cosmetic).
Check out ifixit.com for more about magsafe

Samwise Wilson

Dec 27, 2016, 5:58:40 AM12/27/16
to Leeds Hack Space
If you put magsafe in the laptops you'll then be buying expensive apple chargers!

Tim Pinder

Dec 27, 2016, 6:10:00 AM12/27/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Cheaper than Apple laptops though

Tim

On 27 Dec 2016, at 10:58, Samwise Wilson <s...@swwils.com> wrote:

> If you put magsafe in the laptops you'll then be buying expensive apple chargers!

Anzir Boodoo

Dec 27, 2016, 7:16:31 AM12/27/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Tim,
> On 27 Dec 2016, at 08:46, timpin . <tmp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It’s not clear whether the different magsafe adapters have the same configuration (i.e. if the difference in appearance is merely cosmetic).
> Check out ifixit.com for more about magsafe

The two connectors are different sizes - version 1 is the same size as a USB A port, version 2 is slimmer and longer, but both have 5 pins. The pin spacing appears to be identical (I’ve just compared them), but the magnetic shields are different shapes.

I’m guessing that a USB C magnetic adaptor would be the way forward, as it would have enough current handling capacity, something like this: https://griffintechnology.com/intl/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT | Urbanist, Samuel L. Foxton
http://samuellfoxton.wordpress.com
Twitter: @samuellfoxton Facebook, Pinterest & YouTube: Samuel L. Foxton

Bam Bam

Dec 31, 2016, 9:30:10 AM12/31/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys, thanks for the response.
My plan was to cut the jack of the original laptop adapter, and  add the magsafe cable to it.
Alternatively just buy a used mac adapter.

@Anzir, i did look for something like this, there are loads of cheap ones on ebay, unfortunately her laptop doesn't have type c.  I just was being lazy with the laptop magsafe adapter - it already has wires i can cut off lol.

If you know me.. then you will know my main email address, so redirect to that!

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Jan 3, 2017, 8:26:48 AM1/3/17
to Leeds Hack Space
IIRC, MagSafe adapters are a pain to work with because by default they only output a low voltage around 7-12V which is current limited. You have to pull a certain pin down with a certain value resistor to turn them on and get the full 19-20V.

Bam Bam

Jan 5, 2017, 6:57:55 PM1/5/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Damn, What if i bypass the cable - Where the magnetic contacts meet the circuit board.  Would that work?

My biggest query is Say i was to get the adapter to work properly, will the really thin wires carry the 20v 2amp load?

On 3 January 2017 at 13:26, Tom Oldbury (Email #2) <told...@gmail.com> wrote:
IIRC, MagSafe adapters are a pain to work with because by default they only output a low voltage around 7-12V which is current limited. You have to pull a certain pin down with a certain value resistor to turn them on and get the full 19-20V.

Anzir Boodoo

Jan 5, 2017, 7:05:29 PM1/5/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

> On 5 Jan 2017, at 23:57, Bam Bam <saff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Damn, What if i bypass the cable - Where the magnetic contacts meet the circuit board. Would that work?
>
> My biggest query is Say i was to get the adapter to work properly, will the really thin wires carry the 20v 2amp load?

They ought to. My MagSafe adaptors are 65W and 85W output

Bam Bam

Jan 7, 2017, 9:12:05 PM1/7/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thats great - I will start the hack tomorrow.  Keep you all updated how it goes :D

Bam Bam

Jan 25, 2017, 5:08:12 PM1/25/17
to Leeds Hack Space
Hey all, just a quick update.

I hacked the laptop, neatly put the mag safe in, and soldered it to the power supply.
Then i realised she somehow managed to burn the power supply board out.

So i just ordered a new one off fleabay, and haven't ruined the jack on it yet.
SO this is on hold until the niece breaks it again!

p.s. i know i definitely got the 20v out of the output that was input through the magsafe.