The Things Network / LoraWAN(?) Gateway setup

Stanto

Dec 4, 2017, 9:12:23 AM12/4/17
to Leeds Hack Space
The 'official' hardware for this is now available - https://www.element14.com/community/view-product.jspa?fsku=2675813,2675815,2675817,&nsku=05AC1806,05AC1808,05AC1810&action=list

I've asked a few people if we're interested in setting up a gateway at the Hackspace. I should be receiving the gateway hardware in the coming weeks along with a 'node' and an 'uno' for it as well.

We considered setting up a weather station at the Hackspace, at least.

Does anyone have any ideas with this, concerns, queries or problems with going ahead and setting this up? Or does anyone want to work on some lorawan/things network projects that communicates over it to monitor the hackspace?

Tim Pinder

Dec 4, 2017, 10:33:06 AM12/4/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Nice one Stanto
I’d love to get involved with this :)

—
Tim

Stanto

Dec 14, 2017, 9:09:51 PM12/14/17
to Leeds Hack Space
I've now received the gateway, along with an uno and a node... I'd take photo's except my mobile's failed on me... :/ I will bring them along next tuesday.

timpin .

Dec 15, 2017, 6:59:49 AM12/15/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. See you then 😃

Tim

Alex Silcock

Dec 16, 2017, 11:25:21 AM12/16/17
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Excited to see it, this really feels like something in the Hackspace spirit/ethos.

Stanto

Jan 17, 2018, 7:09:48 PM1/17/18
to Leeds Hack Space
The gateway is plugged in at the Hackspace. I followed the bare bones setup instructions to the best of my ability, and I'm not convinced it's entirely setup right.

In theory anyone can now transmit TTN stuff using it. There's not a lot to actually configure it via their 'console' on the things network site and it's currently bound to my account.

We are one of three gateways in Leeds, I don't know the details of the other two. It's been noted that the one that was once in ilkley has managed to receive/transmit packets from as far as York.

What I believe a few of us would like to do now, is use the TTN Uno I also received to make a weather station, and also find the best way to mount the TTN gateway either outside, or connect it to an antenna outside. Personally I'd also prefer it if we could connect it via ethernet as opposed to via WiFi, there's also the option to have xbee on it as it has the headers.

timpin .

Jan 18, 2018, 3:32:32 AM1/18/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
As it happens Amazon very kindly gave me a flagpole when I reported that the cost of returning it to them was almost the same as the cost of the item. I don’t know if this would make a suitable mounting for an antenna or if the landlord would look favourably on us erecting a flagpole. However, if one of the directors would like to check with the landlord I can bring it down at the weekend.

tenst...@me.com

Jan 18, 2018, 5:10:14 AM1/18/18
to Leeds Hack Space
Spoke with Claire Garside yday who is lending us some makeymakey alternative keyboards for the Leeds College of Music day, she’s part of http://www.digitalcreativity.foundation/blog/ and other stuff around iot. Interested in the lorowan gateway for community stuff too - hopefully she’ll come down to the space one Tuesday.

samson B

Jan 18, 2018, 1:23:40 PM1/18/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
is this to make your own said internet of things ?

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 10:10 AM, <tenst...@me.com> wrote:
Spoke with Claire Garside yday who is lending us some makeymakey alternative keyboards for the Leeds College of Music day, she’s part of http://www.digitalcreativity.foundation/blog/ and other stuff around iot. Interested in the lorowan gateway for community stuff too - hopefully she’ll come down to the space one Tuesday.

timpin .

Jan 18, 2018, 3:08:44 PM1/18/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
@samson can you clarify your question, please?

samson B

Jan 18, 2018, 3:09:23 PM1/18/18
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
is it to make a internet of things systel system