Decorating the walls

J C

Nov 2, 2015, 1:34:09 PM11/2/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

So the white walls at the space are a little industrial/ dull. A little art and decoration would improve the place.

One suggestion is a mural of LED men engaged in hacking/ making and/or in a timeline of inventions/ discoveries. Image attached below.

Comments/ suggestions? Other ideas? Want to get involved? Comment here. The original is up on the whiteboard at the hackspace door.

Thanks

Joe

IMG_20151102_182827.jpg

Robin Wood

Nov 2, 2015, 1:47:03 PM11/2/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Sheffield Access Space does a 20x20 project each year where each person gets a board 20cm square and they can make/build/paint anything they WG m want on it. They are then combined into a mural. Can look really good when don't well.

Robin

J C

Nov 2, 2015, 1:52:31 PM11/2/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

I like that idea Robin definitely has potential.

Daniel F

Nov 2, 2015, 2:03:04 PM11/2/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Definitely think something needs to happen with the walls.

I like the inclusively of the 20*20 idea, but wonder how badly bikeshedded it'll get.

If we have some people with artistic intent and capabilities then I'd be very happy to turn up and find something had just magically happened. To be honest, I don't even really mind what...  Though LED people hacking through the ages  does sound awesome :)

J C

Nov 2, 2015, 2:50:13 PM11/2/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

I think it would be good to start with a few people getting something like a murial up first to get things going. The 20 x20 idea should be tried at some point though but yes with the bike shedding let's do that later . but we do have multiple walls to decorate so room for both.

Andy51055

Nov 3, 2015, 5:20:45 AM11/3/15
to Leeds Hack Space
I have loads of paint, brushes, etc. and have done several murals over the years. Let's talk ideas tonight. Maybe an abstract mural for something LED to be made on top of?

Aidan Dunbar

Nov 3, 2015, 5:22:05 AM11/3/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
There's some paint in a blue IKEA bag under one of the workbenches - blue, yellow, some white maybe? This is fair game, use it as you see fit.

J C

Nov 3, 2015, 5:59:14 AM11/3/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Discussing with interested people tonight sounds like a plan. Though if people can't make tonight they can still be involved of course.

Andy51055

Nov 15, 2015, 5:02:26 AM11/15/15
to Leeds Hack Space
Had another idea for the end wall, this time without the use of alcohol so it's a lot less offensive to the eye and a lot more mathematical. Made from 3mm ply which should look a lot warmer and friendlier than the current white walls. And as it would be mounted on (almost) full 1200 x 2400 sheets screwed to the wall it means that if the space moves, this can move with it.
So the overview is here (http://www.51055.com/hackspace/wallidea2a.pdf) and the more detailed drawing here (http://www.51055.com/hackspace/wallidea2.pdf)
What do folk think?

Daniel F

Nov 15, 2015, 8:38:24 AM11/15/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

That looks really cool and doesn't make my physically sick like the last one ;)

Brain is still looking for the crank handle so I can rotate the entire design though =)

Andy51055

Nov 16, 2015, 5:02:16 AM11/16/15
to Leeds Hack Space
It grows right to left so that the more complex/interesting end is near the door where it will be seen more close up. And if you read it left to right it should be calming, going from busy and complex to open and simple. And a nod to its middle eastern origins, obviously.