Farnell transformers 12 volt advice.

Onlyhalfdone

Nov 20, 2015, 4:06:32 AM11/20/15
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi I'm wanting to pick up some 12 volt transformers from Farnell ideally. But when I go on their website there are so. Any options I don't know where to start! Can any help me simplfy he choices?

I want something 12 volts that will deliver constantly 3 to 4 amps and possibly up to 6 amps I don't want this getting to hot as its in a ceiling void so should I oversize the transformer?

Ideally it wants to be self contained such as a lap top transformer and ideally with chart circuit protection.

I wanted something reasonable quality as I've already been through a couple of cheap aliexpress ones.

Cheers

Samwise Wilson

Nov 20, 2015, 2:15:00 PM11/20/15
to Leeds Hack Space
You can't go wrong with a correct spec Mean Well; there is a reason they are used in installs!

tho...@tgohome.com

Nov 22, 2015, 11:54:14 AM11/22/15
to Leeds Hack Space
The Farnell trade counter had a couple of 12V open case switchmode AC power supplies, IIRC they were rated at 12.5A each so over 150W. £30 each, but you can usually get them to drop the price if they've been sitting there for a couple of weeks.

Taimur Khan

Nov 23, 2015, 5:37:08 AM11/23/15
to leeds-hack-space