Digital Scope Inductions / Tutorials

Tom Oldbury (Email #1)

Sep 8, 2016, 2:01:44 PM9/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I'm trying to gauge interest in a possible "seminar" at the hackspace for how to use a digital scope properly, more specifically the Rigol scope that we have purchased recently.

It will consist roughly of:
) Overview of the instrument, what it does, what it doesn't do
) Functionality - digital vs analog - advantages and disadvantages
) Things to avoid (to prevent Bad Things)
) Basic usage - overview of display screen / instrument / controls / measuring a signal
) More advanced usage such as serial decode and the internal signal generator (TBD)
) Practical application of scope used to diagnose a circuit and evaluate functionality

So, a few questions to anyone interested:
- Would you attend the seminar? It would be roughly 1 hour to 90 minutes long.  I would only offer one instance of this for the time being - I do not have enough time to offer other sessions at this time.
- When is the best time for this? For myself it would probably be weekday evenings or maybe weekend afternoons. I think open evenings would be too busy.
- Anything else you'd like to see/learn/do at such a session.

I think the ultimate goal will be for other individuals attending the seminar to have been inducted in using the scope - and hopefully could then induct other members.

Timescale: depending on newspace readiness, it may make more sense to have it there, but sometime within the next 1-2 months.

Comments welcome

George Scott

Sep 8, 2016, 2:04:52 PM9/8/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Sounds good - maybe a Wednesday evening some time...

Stanto

Sep 8, 2016, 2:09:12 PM9/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Can we record it?

Tom Oldbury (Email #1)

Sep 8, 2016, 2:13:32 PM9/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
I wouldn't object to recordings being made, but I'd have to clear this with my employer (I was planning on using one of their units for the demo, which I've been given permission to use but not with recording)

J C

Sep 8, 2016, 3:23:10 PM9/8/16
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom

I think an induction would be wasted on me at this stage but a seminar such as this would be really useful if you put it on and I would do my best to attend. Weekday evenings are usually good for me.

Thanks

Joe

Stanto

Sep 8, 2016, 3:35:22 PM9/8/16
to Leeds Hack Space
Okies, sounds sensible!

- Would you attend the seminar? It would be roughly 1 hour to 90 minutes long.  I would only offer one instance of this for the time being - I do not have enough time to offer other sessions at this time.

Yes.

- When is the best time for this? For myself it would probably be weekday evenings or maybe weekend afternoons. I think open evenings would be too busy.

Not thursday evenings. Any other working weekday after 7pm would be best, or weekends. Agree that open evenings would be too busy, open days might not be on a saturday, but would be distracting for anyone visiting.

- Anything else you'd like to see/learn/do at such a session.

I think this's a lot to cover for me already, and I'm looking forward to it.

samson B

Sep 14, 2016, 7:19:38 AM9/14/16
to Leeds Hack Space
id be interested hopefully my shifts will allow me to go.