New option for Debit/Credit reports: --dc

John Wiegley

Mar 10, 2012, 10:37:51 PM3/10/12
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
If you use --dc with either the register (reg) or balance (bal) commands, you
will now get extra columns. The register goes from this:

12-Mar-10 Employer Assets:Cash $100 $100
Income:Employer $-100 0
12-Mar-10 KFC Expenses:Food $20 $20
Assets:Cash $-20 0
12-Mar-10 KFC - Rebate Assets:Cash $5 $5
Expenses:Food $-5 0
12-Mar-10 KFC - Food & Reb.. Expenses:Food $20 $20
Expenses:Food $-5 $15
Assets:Cash $-15 0

To this:

12-Mar-10 Employer Assets:Cash $100 0 $100
In:Employer 0 $100 0
12-Mar-10 KFC Expens:Food $20 0 $20
Assets:Cash 0 $20 0
12-Mar-10 KFC - Rebate Assets:Cash $5 0 $5
Expens:Food 0 $5 0
12-Mar-10 KFC - Food &.. Expens:Food $20 0 $20
Expens:Food 0 $5 $15
Assets:Cash 0 $15 0

Where the first column is debits, the second is credits, and the third is the
running total. Only the running total may contain negative values.

For the balance report, before it was this:

$70 Assets:Cash
$30 Expenses:Food
$-100 Income:Employer
--------------------
0

And with --dc it becomes this:

$105 $35 $70 Assets:Cash
$40 $10 $30 Expenses:Food
0 $100 $-100 Income:Employer
$145 $145 0

What I like most about this option (which has been requested several times in
the past) is that it reveals data that was hidden before: in a single
period -- say, this month -- you can see both to increase and decrease of a
given account in one glance, rather than having to generate two separate
reports to distinguish inflow from outflow.

Enjoy, John

Doug Philips

Mar 10, 2012, 11:13:07 PM3/10/12
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 22:37, John Wiegley <jwie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the balance report, before it was this:
> And with --dc it becomes this:

> What I like most about this option (which has been requested several times in
> the past) is that it reveals data that was hidden before: in a single
> period -- say, this month -- you can see both to increase and decrease of a
> given account in one glance, rather than having to generate two separate
> reports to distinguish inflow from outflow.

Yes! Yes! Thank you!
As the treasurer for a local non-profit club, it was always annoying
to have to run multiple reports.
Thanks you!

-=Doug

Simon Michael