FastSPI on a (ATMega32U4-based) Sparkfun Pro Micro?

snikta...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2012, 7:16:03 PM10/21/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Is there any reason FastSPI wouldn't work on a Pro Micro? The Sparkfun product page mentions there's no "Timer2" in the ATMega32U4, does FastSPI rely on its existence?

It's probably just me doing something boneheaded but I thought I'd better check. Everything's working fine on my full-size Uno v3, but I can't get it to work on the Pro Micro.

Cheers, Robert.

Andrew Morrow

Oct 21, 2012, 7:32:54 PM10/21/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com, led-...@googlegroups.com
I can get you a modified version of the lib that works on the 32u4.  Which led drivers are you interfacing with?

Andrew

snikta...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2012, 8:59:48 PM10/21/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:32:59 PM UTC-7, Andrew wrote:
> I can get you a modified version of the lib that works on the 32u4.  Which led drivers are you interfacing with?

The WS2811 strips.

Pleased it wasn't just me being derp. With the Leonardo out now, it's probably a feature that ought to be included in the mainline. I'll file a bug.

Cheers, Robert.

Daniel Garcia

Oct 21, 2012, 9:22:14 PM10/21/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com, led-...@googlegroups.com
For chips where the pwm isn't managed on the arduino the timers aren't used. Can you shoot me a link to the pro micros?  I havent seen those yet but I use pro minis for nearly everything where I don't need ram. (Probably switching my primary platform over to the teensy 3 though, soon)

--Dg (on mobile phone, pardon terseness and typos)

On Oct 21, 2012, at 4:16 PM, snikta...@gmail.com wrote:

Daniel Garcia

Oct 21, 2012, 9:24:35 PM10/21/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com, led-...@googlegroups.com
It's irritating that there keep being arduino releases that basically require me to buy new hardware to support - because they keep making changes to pin assignments and such. I should see whether or not they are defining macros somewhere that would be useful to me without requiring me to update the code constantly.

--Dg (on mobile phone, pardon terseness and typos)

Andrew Morrow

Oct 21, 2012, 9:21:29 PM10/21/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com, led-...@googlegroups.com
He's working on getting them all to work with the Teensy 3 right now. Hopefully he can get them running with a Teensy 2 (32u4) soon as well.

Andrew

Daniel Garcia

Oct 21, 2012, 9:28:30 PM10/21/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com, led-...@googlegroups.com
Ah! The 32u4 is what the teensy 2 has - yeah someone sent me a patch to get the library to work, but they were using the tm1809 chips and didn't update the spi definitions - I think all I need to do is track them down.

Also - if I recall right on the Leonardo, the hardware spi support is no longer available on the shield pins, and instead is only available on the ISP connector pins. Which seems like a dumb decision to me (please, tell me I read those docs wrong!)

--Dg (on mobile phone, pardon terseness and typos)

Andrew Morrow

Oct 21, 2012, 10:38:44 PM10/21/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
I will be very interested in the 1809/ws2811 support. Has Paul not sent you a Teensy 2? If not, shoot me an address privately and ill buy one for you. Your work on this lib has been huge for me and mine!

Andrew

Daniel Garcia

Oct 21, 2012, 11:25:22 PM10/21/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 21, 2012, at 7:38 PM, Andrew Morrow <amo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I will be very interested in the 1809/ws2811 support. Has Paul not sent you a Teensy 2? If not, shoot me an address privately and ill buy one for you. Your work on this lib has been huge for me and mine!

Yeah - I got the SPI based support working last weekend on the teensy 3 (ws2801/lpd8806/few others). I think i'm going to ditch support for the host timer/pwm based chips in the teensy 3/arm systems (*595 shift registers, hl1606, lpd6803), just to keep life easier. Still, using the software emulation library that Paul wrote i'm able to push 1200fps out on 160 lpd8806 leds - this thing is FAST. I can't wait to see what I can push when I flip over to hardware level SPI support like I have on the arduinos, and when I put in support for DMA based output? Watch out! :)

The only thing holding me back on ws2811/tm1809 support on the teensy 3 is time (stupid day job) and, because of how tight the timing requirements are for those chips, coming up with an elegant way to make sure the timing stays correct no matter what the host clock speed is. I think i'm close on that one, though.

Also - supporting high speed tm1803 should become easier on the teensy 3 (but having recently found out that there's four variants on the tm1803, all called tm1803, with timings of either 1µs per bit, 2.33µs per bit, or 2.5µs per bit - and I think i just stumbled across a fourth one the other day, but don't remember its timings, i need to figure out how to account for/adjust the timing for it). I also think i've been wrong all along and that my tm1809 support on the arduino is the 1µs per bit variant, not the 2µs per bit. Have I mentioned the last 6 months have been a bit insane?

I can't wait to get full teensy support up and running though - I'm working out a project idea to drive 20-40,000 leds - and I think my controller setup is going to consist of a raspberry pi at the core fanning out to about a dozen teensy 3.0's acting as high speed dumb frame buffers to drive all the leds :)

Re: the teensy 2 - I have an order out for one of each of the two types to make sure I get full support in there.

--Dg

Andrew Morrow

Oct 22, 2012, 12:07:00 AM10/22/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds fantastic!  Thanks for all the hard work on this. Do point us at an Amazon wishlist sometime!

snikta...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2012, 1:43:45 PM10/22/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:22:19 PM UTC-7, Daniel Garcia wrote:
For chips where the pwm isn't managed on the arduino the timers aren't used. Can you shoot me a link to the pro micros?  I havent seen those yet but I use pro minis for nearly everything where I don't need ram. (Probably switching my primary platform over to the teensy 3 though, soon)

I'd be quite happy to switch over to the Teensy 3.0 too, once it's possible to buy 'em :-).

Cheers, Robert.

Daniel Garcia

Oct 22, 2012, 2:34:19 PM10/22/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 22, 2012, at 10:43 AM, snikta...@gmail.com wrote:
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:22:19 PM UTC-7, Daniel Garcia wrote:
For chips where the pwm isn't managed on the arduino the timers aren't used. Can you shoot me a link to the pro micros?  I havent seen those yet but I use pro minis for nearly everything where I don't need ram. (Probably switching my primary platform over to the teensy 3 though, soon)

Cool - i'll try to grab one and poke around with it.

I'd be quite happy to switch over to the Teensy 3.0 too, once it's possible to buy 'em :-).

snikta...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2012, 6:44:15 PM10/23/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, October 22, 2012 11:34:18 AM UTC-7, Daniel Garcia wrote:
I'd be quite happy to switch over to the Teensy 3.0 too, once it's possible to buy 'em :-).

http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy3.html

I saw that, but I read it as there being only a limited number of "test" boards available. But it's let me order a couple so we'll see how we go.

Cheers, Robert.

Andrew Morrow

Oct 23, 2012, 6:55:22 PM10/23/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
I've got 3.   I'm happy to part with one if the need is dire, though I've got plans :)

Cheers, Robert.

Tekket

Oct 24, 2012, 11:00:00 AM10/24/12
to led-...@googlegroups.com
I've got two 3.0 in the mail right now, and I cant wait to try and get the FastSPI working.

So glad I came across this group, so much work being done along projects that Im currently working on.