Holy shitballs, flexible LED panels!

snikta...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2013, 6:06:28 PM4/16/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/16-16pixels-WS2812-led-digital-flexible-panel-light-ws2811-IC-controlled-size-17cm-17cm-DC5V-input/701799_825283258.html

"16*16pixels WS2812 led digital(ws2811 IC controlled) flex panel light,size:17cm*17cm,DC5V input(can make customized size)"

CAN MAKE CUSTOMIZED SIZE!!1!!11!!!ELEVEN!

And they're sixty-five freakin' bucks for the 16x16 version :-P.

Cheers,

EkriirkE

May 20, 2013, 4:56:00 PM5/20/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I'm out of a job!

Daniel Garcia

May 20, 2013, 5:05:23 PM5/20/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com, led-...@googlegroups.com
http://youtu.be/kXa1NbOl6Ow - I'm playing with a set now. Thinking about adding an led array class to fastspi_led2 to handle the fact that each row "reverses direction"

--Dg (on mobile phone, pardon terseness and typos)

EkriirkE

May 20, 2013, 5:20:32 PM5/20/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Is the first one burnt out?  (I used to build these by hand with 5mm lightbright.net)

Daniel Garcia

May 20, 2013, 5:58:26 PM5/20/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com, led-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, no - I was using a button to cycle between programs and so I was using the color of the first led to indicate which program was running :)

--Dg (on mobile phone, pardon terseness and typos)

EkriirkE

Jun 1, 2013, 8:13:44 PM6/1/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
I had to get one myself to try (Actually ~$85 after shipping).  I love it, my code refreshes a frame in ~7.5ms on a 16MHz AVR or ~110fps.  I'll be getting more:

snikta...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2013, 10:52:00 AM6/4/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, May 20, 2013 11:05:23 PM UTC+2, Daniel Garcia wrote:
http://youtu.be/kXa1NbOl6Ow - I'm playing with a set now. Thinking about adding an led array class to fastspi_led2 to handle the fact that each row "reverses direction"

What's the power consumption like? Does voltage drop cause any "reddening" of the LEDs near the "end" of the panel?

Cheers, Robert.

EkriirkE

Jun 6, 2013, 2:40:20 AM6/6/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
I have to find my meter, but it wasn't happy with just USB power at full brightness at all. My 3a supply gets very hot at full white. There is no power loss "down the chain" as the power planes run completely around and through the square, so no gradual reddening. There are also ony a handful of decoupling caps vs led count.

EkriirkE

Jun 6, 2013, 11:04:28 PM6/6/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Just tested, my 3A regulator was pumping out 5A full white and getting hot FAST.  All-off runs at 222mA.  So each IC takes <=1mA and an assumed 20mA/channel would calculatee to 15 amps/panel!  As for power distribution like I said, to reddening as the power planes cover both sides completely while the data track zigzags.  It feels like a thin piece of sheet metal (and is a bit heavy)

EkriirkE

Jun 8, 2013, 4:57:19 PM6/8/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Just ran it full-white off a 1S 3.7v LiPo, works without issue though not as blindingly-bright and no reddening!  Only drew about 3.3 amps, so this may be good to run direct sans heat-generating regulator and minimal software dimming.  All off ran 180mA.  I'll post again when I find my high-amp 5V supply...

EkriirkE

Jun 8, 2013, 11:56:39 PM6/8/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
So I just ran it full-white on what I believe to be a decent 5/3.3 dedicated psupp, it only pulled ~6.2 amps and the panel itself started getting noticeably warm in seconds.  I would have thought it to pull ~15A with (3chan*20ma+~1ma chip)*256.  But that number almost suggests 20mA a chip regardles as if it drives the subLEDs parallel but you'd need ~9V to satisfy that...  On the 3.3V rail it worked fine as well, just dimmer and a bit on the warm/yellow side.