LED pixel strand with more distance between pixels

Dustin

Jun 18, 2013, 7:20:46 PM6/18/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Anybody know of a place to get WS2801(or similar) pixel strands like this http://www.adafruit.com/products/322 but with a larger/custom separation between pixels?  I want to make a giant matrix of paper lanterns with 8" - 10" between LEDs, but am not sure I'll have enough time to solder the requisite 2048 wire joints to extend the normal strands that are 3" apart.

thanks,
_dustin

Anton Kast

Jun 18, 2013, 7:29:05 PM6/18/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Command the intermediate pixels to off?

Anton

Daniel Garcia

Jun 18, 2013, 8:41:16 PM6/18/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Some of the suppliers on aliexpress.com are willing to do custom distances - but I don’t know what kind of bulk order you would need to do.  I’ve had good luck with orders in the past from Ray Wu’s store http://www.aliexpress.com/store/701799 - but i’ve never had to do custom gap orders from him.

—Dg

Digi-Dome

Jun 19, 2013, 7:44:49 AM6/19/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Dustin-
anything is possible, given enuff time and/or money.
how many pixels do you need this for? and- is this a one-off, or a recurring event?

Keith

Dustin

Jun 19, 2013, 3:02:25 PM6/19/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
It would be one-off for now. I have a box of 300 8" paper lanterns and want to make a 16x16 grid to hang above a dance floor (think reactive animations using a kinect to find peoples heads, etc).

_dustin

Digi-Dome

Jun 19, 2013, 5:07:55 PM6/19/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com

sounds interesting.
the biggest issue you will face is voltage drop across the grid. my next thought would be brightness if the space would have other lighting. I have a 12 volt module that might work in this situation. let me see if I can find some pictures of it in action.
keith

Daniel Garcia

Jun 19, 2013, 5:11:03 PM6/19/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
You can always inject more power at various points in the line(s), however.

—Dg

Dustin

Jun 19, 2013, 5:29:43 PM6/19/13
to led-...@googlegroups.com
I was running on the assumption that I would need to inject some power along the grid. As far as brightness goes. As far as brightness goes, it won't really have to compete with much else and doesn't need to provide tons of illumination.