LED strip repair

Phil Spitler

Apr 16, 2015, 2:26:41 AM4/16/15
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, can anybody suggest the best way to trace a hardware fault with an addressable strip?

You can see from this photo that strip just stops part way through (it is supposed to be all red).

I have tried wiggling the strip at the stop point

soldering across the pads at the stop point

Holding breadboard cables from the stop point to an LED a little further down the strip.

All of the above did nothing at all..

This strip was from our artcar which is gonna be at an event this Saturday.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Phil

Phil Spitler  |  Creative Technologist   |  Bonfire Labs  |  t : 415.394.8200  m : 415.571.3139

Website | Facebook | LinkedIn

Anton Kast

Apr 16, 2015, 11:09:51 PM4/16/15
to led-...@googlegroups.com

If you're rich, throw it away and get a new one.

If you're poor, just cut the strip. If you can tolerate a fiddly and delicate junction, you may be able to splice it with another strip.

Anton

Phil Spitler

Apr 17, 2015, 2:09:25 AM4/17/15
to led-...@googlegroups.com
Yup, I out 2 LEDs and it works perfectly.

On Apr 15, 2015 11:26 PM, "Phil Spitler" <ph...@bonfirelabs.com> wrote:
Hi, can anybody suggest the best way to trace a hardware fault with an addressable strip?

You can see from this photo that strip just stops part way through (it is supposed to be all red).

I have tried wiggling the strip at the stop point

soldering across the pads at the stop point

Holding breadboard cables from the stop point to an LED a little further down the strip.

All of the above did nothing at all..

This strip was from our artcar which is gonna be at an event this Saturday.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Phil

Phil Spitler  |  Creative Technologist   |  Bonfire Labs  |  t : 415.394.8200  m : 415.571.3139

Website | Facebook | LinkedIn

<2015-04-15 23.08.25.jpeg>