OER / OCW Verbs

Pat Lockley

Apr 6, 2012, 12:14:57 PM4/6/12
to learning-regis...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Happy easter.

Our OER (same as OCW) project has a lot of event tracking built in to
Google Analytics. Given OER / OCW reuse and tracking has taken on holy
grail like proportions I wondered if anyone was working on any OER
verbs / or might be interested in doing so?

I am thinking verbs like "copy", "download" and maybe a few more. It
might not make sense to have a subset of OER verbs, but I think I
could argue that copy is a useful OER verb, but maybe marginal for an
LR node which isn't focused on OER.

Thoughts?

Pat

Steve Midgley

Apr 6, 2012, 1:44:39 PM4/6/12
to learning-regis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pat,

Susan Van Gundy put together this attached list a while back to describe paradata verbs that might be of interest.. I recall that maybe there was a more detailed version published at some point (more verbs/categories) but I can't find it so maybe misremembering. Anyway this list is pretty good.

Please share more on your progress towards recording verbs using Google Analytics, as that is a very interesting collection model (simple to implement, robust and free). I believe you could just create whole new "restful" (but virtual) "paths" that describe usage data such as:

"/bookmarked/teacher/6-10yearolds"
"/favorited/principal/14-18yearolds"

..Or whatever and send that to GA and you can then analyze various aggregations (questions like "how many bookmarks by teachers by age group", etc). I'm not sure how flexible their aggregation engine is but if you align to the way GA normally tracks, it ought to do a lot.

For public sharing of these data, it seems like you might be able to export GA data as a CSV? In which case maybe you (or someone!) could write a GA CSV to learning registry data pump (Obviously dropping IP address and other identifying information in the process)..

Thoughts?
Steve

Paradata Framework Proposal.ppt

patrick...@googlemail.com

Apr 7, 2012, 1:47:01 PM4/7/12
to learning-regis...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

the events tracker in google analytics supports a certain scope for nesting ( http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/eventTrackerGuide.html )

My worry is how distinguished events should be

So we have "shared" as an option, and then I would add the various social media options. However, I could see this as a case for the verb to be "recommend" as it possible holds more gravitas as a word.

I was also wondering how to distinguish between consumption? So the video / audio file can be consumed (rather than watched or listened to), but is reading a page consuming, and then what is say, printing a PDF out? We've also coded a youtube style embed option for our video / audio, so this will be consuming the media, but I am not sure if this embedded consumption suggests a greater verb because there is a proxy in the process, and in some ways a recommendation?

Copying is also trackable on the site, but I think again, this feels like it should sit within a "larger verb" - perhaps via GA, but does say

Reuse-copy
Reuse-embedded_play

Break the verb model as we start to create a verb taxonomy? I know I am alluding to a verb taxonomy, but I'd like to develop something that doesn't need changing :)

Re data pumping, have another question which is a slightly different topic so will start a new thread.

Thanks for the pointers.

Pat