Problem with (re-)installation of node

Andy Green

Feb 22, 2013, 9:18:29 AM2/22/13
to learning-regis...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
We're having a few problems over this side of the pond in reinstalling our LR node at Liverpool University. Our ENGrich project (described in the JISC/JLeRN case studies on the Learning Registry) is developing a visual media search engine built upon a local LR node.

To date, we have been running off the Mimas node at the University of Manchester, from whom we've enjoyed a great deal of support. Towards the end of 2012, we successfully installed and tested a node here in Liverpool. We published a few dozen documents and the basic access services (slice, harvest, obtain) worked fine, as did some customised extract data services.

We are now ready to publish tens of thousands of documents and before doing so, wiped our node clean. We encountered no problems at all publishing our documents, but when it came to retrieving them with anything other than <node>/harvest/getrecord?by_doc_ID=TRUE&request_ID=<doc_ID> we got a Server 500 Error. It was also at that point that we realised that <node>/status was returning the same error, indicating something was amiss.

Since then, we've tried reinstalling the node from scratch, but the problem persists. When running yolk -l, there is no mention of LearningRegistry or couchdb even though they're obviously on the system and being run (otherwise we wouldn't be able to publish).

We realise that you'll need more technical details, which our colleague in Computing Services can provide, but before doing so wondered if there is anyone willing/able to help.

Best regards,

Andrew Green
Department of Engineering
The University of Liverpool

Director, Materials e-Learning Technologies Ltd

Jim Klo

Feb 22, 2013, 1:16:01 PM2/22/13
to <learning-registry-collaborate@googlegroups.com>
Hi Andy,

This all sounds great!  Sorry you're having problems.  In order to better diagnose what's wrong, we need some additional information.  yolk is only effective within the python context… within the virtualenv for LR, you should be able to use `pip freeze` to list many of the packages, both LR and couchdb modules should be listed, if not, then from within the LR directory… `pip install -e ./` should resolve that.  You may also need to run through the configuration script.

Most commonly the problem you describe is due to a missing libyajl.so.  We are in the process of updating documentation this week (and next) in preparation for the next release which will include "replacement" (document update/delete) capability, several bug fixes, as well as a slimmed down version of slice.

- Jim

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
Center for Software Engineering
SRI International
t. @nsomnac

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Learning Registry: Collaborate" group.

John Gilbertson

Feb 25, 2013, 10:01:42 AM2/25/13
to learning-regis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

I'm the server admin here at Liverpool who's been tasked with looking after the OS/software side of things.

I've tried almost everything short of wiping the system and starting completely from scratch, and we keep getting what I think is the same error when trying to access the /status page of LR which I've been told is a good indication of the health of the LR system.

I believe the uWSGI log shows where the error is ocurring: http://pastebin.com/0Tkdu2JS

Unfortunately I'm not really well versed in Python so the errors mean very little to me in terms of debugging what might be causing the issue.

If you could provide any pointers I'd be thoroughly grateful

John Gilbertson
Computing Services Department
The University of Liverpool

Steve Midgley

Feb 25, 2013, 10:36:39 AM2/25/13
to learnin...@googlegroups.com
Switching over to the -dev group which I think has more people who will have thoughts about this. (bcc to collaborate list so anyone interested there will sign up to learningreg-dev to follow along).

Just guessing here (until the west coast wakes up) but I think your file "/home/learningregistry/git/LearningRegistry/LR/development.ini" has some problems? It seems like python is trying to load key/value config pairs out of this file. Maybe you are running in dev mode (so it's loading the dev ini) but you only have a production config file set up?

This is a WAG -- Walt and Jim (and others) will know more for sure.

Steve

Groups "Learning Registry: Collaborate" group.

To post: learning-regis...@googlegroups.com