How to protect our data with leaflet map?

Rex

May 8, 2015, 3:45:16 PM5/8/15
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
The data loaded as markers is stored in a json/csv/js file. We want to show all data on the map. But how to protect the raw data file from public access?

Following the example on leaflet website, the name and location of the data file is currently visible as plain text in the index.html. Any people can download them after viewing the source code of the html.

Is there any way to secure our raw data from public access?
for example, by encoding the file name and location and there is no way to decode it?
Or use some authorization method, oAuth, RestFul API?
Or using PHP instead of html?

Any tips and suggestions are greatly welcome!

Iván Sánchez Ortega

May 9, 2015, 6:32:00 PM5/9/15
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, 8 May 2015 21:45:16 UTC+2, Rex wrote:
But how to protect the raw data file from public access?

By not making the map showing that data public.

Mike Robinson

May 13, 2015, 12:58:26 PM5/13/15
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
In the end, you have to supply the data to Leaflet, in an unencrypted form that Leaflet can understand and use.  If these data are proprietary, then you should restrict access to the web-site itself.  Before you grant access to the site ... which, say, is on a VPN-protected server not on the ordinary Internet ... you require that the recipients sign and notarize a written contract supplied by your attorney.  When you first go to the well-protected site, a startup page repeats your copyright declaration and that "use of this site is restricted to authorized licensees only, and subject to the terms of the contract."  Blah, blah, blah.  (And you have, of course, registered your copyright for the site programming itself.)

At this point, in the eyes of the law, anyone who does mess with your data "has clearly committed an Intentional Tort" against you.  (In fact, "breaking and entering.")  A defense of "innocent infringement" cannot possibly be sustained.