[ANN] Jupyter Leaflet Interactive widget 0.2.0

Sylvain Corlay

Apr 27, 2016, 9:55:50 PM4/27/16
to Leaflet
Hello,

I have the pleasure to announce the release of ipyleaflet 0.2.0.

ipyleaflet is an interactive widget for the Jupyter / IPython notebook bringing leaflet to the Python programming language and Jupyter. It was primarily authored by Brian Granger.

For the communication with the backend, since it is based on the Jupyter interactive widgets infrastructure, the communication can be bidirectional, which makes interoperability with other Jupyter widgets is very simple, allowing users to build applications like in the following screencast.

No Javascript programming skills are required to build such applications, and custom python callbacks can easily be triggered on mouse interactions.

ipyleaflet is MIT-licensed and the GitHub repository is https://github.com/ellisonbg/ipyleaflet.

To install it:

```
pip install ipyleaflet
jupyter nbextension install --py widgetsnbextension
jupyter nbextension install --py ipyleaflet
```

Thanks!

Sylvain

Scott Geis

May 2, 2016, 3:45:54 PM5/2/16
to Leaflet
Sorry for the novice post, however I am very excited to begin using the ipyleaflet widget.

I'm getting the following error message when I do a pip install and I'm looking for some insight on how to fix this.

"Could not fetch url https://pypi.python.org/simple/ipyleaflet/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')],)",) - skipping
        Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ipyleaflet (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for ipyleaflet."

I also get an error message when I attempt to pip install the wheel file I downloaded from the python page https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipyleaflet

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Cheers,
Scott

Sylvain Corlay

May 2, 2016, 3:52:49 PM5/2/16
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,
Are you working behind  a corporate proxy?
Sylvain

--

---

ScottG

May 2, 2016, 4:01:47 PM5/2/16
to Leaflet
Ahhh, yes I just started a new government job and did not think of that.  I bet that is what is causing the SSL cert error.  I had run into this before at another job when installing packages from anaconda and was able to get around them using

" conda config --set ssl_verify False"

Is there a similar approach that could work in this case?

Sylvain Corlay

May 2, 2016, 5:13:12 PM5/2/16
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
You cannot do ssl verify False with pip AFAIK (and it is a good thing in my opinion). What you can do is create a pip.ini file in `~/AppData/Roaming/pip/` containing

[global]
cert=[path/to/your/cert.pem file]

That should be useful for any installation from pip in the future...

Sylvain

ScottG

May 3, 2016, 9:29:59 AM5/3/16
to Leaflet
Thanks so much for your guidance I will work on this.

And thanks for your continued work with IPython/Jupyter.  It is an amazing tool and has helped my career immensely.

Cheers,
Scott