Node.js vs Backbone with Leaflet?

Jason BK

Nov 12, 2015, 11:15:38 AM11/12/15
to Leaflet
Hello, my team are considering a framework to use with Leaflet.  the two main contenders are Node.js and Backbone.  We have also considered Angular and Knockout.

We need to have two-way binding in our application.  We had worked a bit with Polymer for this reason, but we decided it is still a bit too new / lacking documentation (esp. when using with Leaflet), and a bit too buggy in Firefox and IE for us right now.

Our application will be mobile-first, and will to make AJAX requests from live data feeds. We will also need solid browser and device agnosticism.  Map-wise, we will have several different layers with pop ups on feature clicks/taps.  Eventually we will add routing, based on a map click or address form.  We would like to use JQuery.  The current version f the application uses Bootstrap for just basic sizing, but this is optional in further development.

Any opinions out there on this? Thanks, Jason

Arnie Shore

Nov 12, 2015, 2:07:36 PM11/12/15
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
Have you really discarded the approach of developing sans any framework?

Our Open Source Computer-Aided-Dispatch application (www.ticketscad.org) uses Leaflet with OSM.  Such was a reasonable day-one decision, IMO.  My take is that it may be worthwhile using one of the frameworks you note if you already have some time/learning investment in it.  Otherwise, possibly not.

--

---