Non-geographical map working-- tools that work to create map tiles from

James Dalgleish

May 7, 2018, 10:10:29 AM5/7/18
to Leaflet

Is there a way to create non-geographical tiles? I found this tool online (https://gherardo.shinyapps.io/exampleLocalTiles/https://github.com/gherardovarando/Map_tools) and this tutorial (https://leafletjs.com/examples/crs-simple/crs-simple.html).  I've managed to create a non-geographical map with just an overlay, but I'd rather use tiles to do this. How do I create them? I'm working in R, but anyone who wants to give leaflet.js advice, feel free. This problem happens outside the program, but it's directly related to making it work for the non-map tools(https://leafletjs.com/plugins.html#non-map-base-layers).  If anyone has any information on how to go from a single, large image (or creating many small images of a certain size) to the /{z}/{x}/{y}.png format, I'm definitely willing to listen. I've looked for some time for good documentation on how to do this and can't seem to find this.

Thanks,
James Dalgleish
National Cancer Institute

John Arcadian

May 7, 2018, 10:19:33 AM5/7/18
to Leaflet
This is what I use:

https://github.com/bramus/photoshop-google-maps-tile-cutter

I made this with it:  http://midgardmap.koboldpress.com/

It has multiple tile layers made from photoshop documents.

John Arcadian

May 7, 2018, 10:24:36 AM5/7/18
to Leaflet

You might also find this tutorial helpful. It covers a lot of basics of non geographic maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmfE9VyAYcY

Chris Hill

May 7, 2018, 11:00:41 AM5/7/18
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
I wrote a blog about this sort of thing:

https://chris-osm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/images-to-map-overlays.html

HTH
Chris
--