anybody want to share their development setup on 5/19?

Aaron Sumner

May 8, 2012, 12:35:57 PM5/8/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for others who are interested in presenting their development setups at the next Saturday morning edition of Lawrence Coders:

http://www.meetup.com/Lawrence-Coders/events/62273962/

Doesn't need to be fancy--for example I was planning on going through how I have my Ruby environment and editor set up, and a few other tools I use on a day-to-day basis for development (package managers, etc.). 20 minutes or so, maybe slides or maybe not--your call.

I would personally be interested in seeing a Python setup and an iOS development setup (or is just "use Xcode?"). What about you PHP folks, is there anything unique we could learn about, say, Code Igniter? Windows developers? .Net fans?

If we can't get anyone else to commit I don't see a reason to hold the session--as I mentioned on our Meetup page my setup isn't entertaining enough to carry two hours.

Thanks,
Aaron

Eric J. Gruber

May 8, 2012, 12:39:55 PM5/8/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
I have plenty of questions about development setups, but don't think mine would be worth sharing. Kind of like version control, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong.
--
Eric J. Gruber

Jeff Triplett

May 8, 2012, 2:42:53 PM5/8/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
I thought Travis was going to share his? If not, I might be able to show up and do so.

Later,
Jeff

Mary Howe

May 8, 2012, 2:54:00 PM5/8/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Eric in not having anything worth sharing.  Mostly I'm just flapping around.  On the other hand, I think we should meet anyway and have a discussion.  Everybody has some sort of a setup, even if it's too weedy to give it a name.

John Kary

May 8, 2012, 3:08:50 PM5/8/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
I could talk a little about our Drupal setup at KU. It will be pretty informal. We use Vagrant with a VirtualBox VM as our dev environment, and have some auto-forwarding DNS magic setup on our Macs so we don't have to define VirtualHosts.

I have a talk I gave a few years ago about using VMs for development instead of your host machine. I could refine my slides and update it to talk a bit about Vagrant, then show the KU Drupal setup. I'm sure Mary and Paul would be interested in seeing that.

I could talk about 20-30 minutes on our setup.

John

Paul Barham

May 8, 2012, 6:00:15 PM5/8/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
I would be glad to share my setup and how I setup CakePHP.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Aaron Sumner <asu...@mac.com> wrote:

--
Paul Barham
(816) 679-8010

Michael Beasterfeld

May 9, 2012, 8:42:26 AM5/9/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
I can share a little about our Hudson setup.

Travis Cline

May 9, 2012, 10:15:19 AM5/9/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
I'm unfortunately out of town on the 19th. :/

-Travis

Aaron Sumner

May 9, 2012, 5:53:01 PM5/9/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
Travis, I'm sorry you won't be able to join us. Everyone else, I like the ideas you've offered--thank you. Here's what we've got:

* Aaron: Ruby and a couple of Mac extras
* Mike: Hudson
* Paul: CakePHP
* John: Drupal/Vagrant
* Jeff: Python/Django, maybe? (I would like to see this if you have the time.)

If we can all stick to 15-20 minutes this should give us plenty of time to cover all five and have room for Q+A, breaks, etc.

Sound good?

Aaron

Jeff Triplett

May 11, 2012, 9:44:28 AM5/11/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually free that morning so sign me up. I'm kind of curious about Mike's coverage of Hudson. I use Jenkins (the newer version) but I barely scratch the surface of the total feature set so I'm looking forward to it.

Aaron Sumner

May 13, 2012, 12:46:01 PM5/13/12
to lawrence-...@googlegroups.com
This sounds great. Thanks, Jeff and everyone who's offered to share.

Aaron