bf series invalid in math mode

Pravesh Biyani

Sep 30, 2010, 11:46:05 AM9/30/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I am using a \bf instead of \mathbf. It compiles perfectly well in one document with certain .cls file. However, when I use a report mode, it gives the following error:

"bf series invalid in math mode".

How can I keep using \bf?

Pravesh

Stephan Ronald

Sep 30, 2010, 11:51:37 AM9/30/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
Use

\mbox{\bf  text}

or

\text{\bf text}% with \usepackage{amstext}

--
Stepen Ronald

Werner Grundlingh

Sep 30, 2010, 11:58:41 AM9/30/10
to LaTeX Users Group
The reason for this is because {\bf ...} is a text-related command
(not in math mode), similar to using \textbf{...}. That is why
\mbox{\bf ...}
and
\text{\bf ...}
would work. The text-related command {\bf ...} is automatically
interpreted by LaTeX (with warning) to \mathbf{...}.

Werner

Pravesh Biyani

Sep 30, 2010, 11:59:58 AM9/30/10
to latexus...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. The point is that it works with some document class, but shows error with another. I am converting my papers into thesis. It worked with papers and does not work with thesis. Can't i make it work without a lot of changes?

Peter Flynn

Sep 30, 2010, 5:38:27 PM9/30/10
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Pravesh Biyani <biy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi
I am using a \bf instead of \mathbf.

Don't. \bf has been obsolete for years, and is only still there to allow old documents to be processed.

It compiles perfectly well in one document with certain .cls file. However, when I use a report mode, it gives the following error:

"bf series invalid in math mode".

How can I keep using \bf?

\boldmath in a group containing but outside math mode.

///Peter