blast2dem overflow?

Mattias Nyström

Jan 20, 2015, 8:11:32 AM1/20/15
to last...@googlegroups.com
I tried to create a DEM using blast2dem with the following commandline:
D:\_Laserdata\>blast2dem -cores 7 -use_tile_bb -keep_class 1 4 -step 1 -elevation -merged -i *.las -o 140914_chm.tif -odir chm -verbose

I then get the following message. The FATAL ERROR, can that be because of too large dataset? The tif-file created is empty...

WARNING: no tiling information. ignoring '-use_tile_bb'. maybe '-use_orig_bb' ...?
terrain finalization (using 2d quadtree) to level 11 with empty 0.
have bounding box. first pass not needed.
second pass: populating finalization counter grid ...
second pass: done. created 2074972 leaf grid cells and stored 2074972 sprinkle points
spfinalizer: needed 720.496 seconds
created parent grid cells (new total is 2773062 cells)
third pass: using finalization grid to spatially finalize 2137260907 points...
output precision is float ...
lower left x unspecified. setting it to 414100.
lower left y unspecified. setting it to 6.47789e+006.
ncols was unspecified. we set it to 9948.
nrows was unspecified. we set it to 9375.
FATAL ERROR: vertex not in hash. need pre-order mesh
third pass: done. stored at most -1968121012 chunked points (plus 2074972 sprinkle points)
spfinalizer: needed 4110.91 seconds
duplicate_points 118480586
spdelaunay2d: needed 4110.67 seconds
read 2137260907 points. produced TIN with 2018780321 vertices and -257406718 triangles
took 4835.42 sec to create 'chm\140914_chm.tif'.

Martin Isenburg

Jan 22, 2015, 11:53:54 AM1/22/15
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

currently the max point limit for BLAST is 2 billion points and you
seem to be slightly above that limit. Looks like I need to remove that
limit soon. It always seemed that 2 billion points would be enough for
a long time ... (-:

Martin @rapidlasso
> --
> Download LAStools at
> http://lastools.org
> http://rapidlasso.com
> Be social with LAStools at
> http://facebook.com/LAStools
> http://twitter.com/LAStools
> http://linkedin.com/groups/LAStools-4408378
> Manage your settings at
> http://groups.google.com/group/lastools/subscribe

Mattias Nyström

Jan 29, 2015, 1:55:41 AM1/29/15
to last...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply. This is a rather small area (15 km2), but very the ALS is very dense. Looking forward for a "unlimited" version :)

//Mattias

Jon Moe

Oct 9, 2017, 9:29:22 AM10/9/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Martin,
did you get around to make the limit higher for blast2dem? I think that I'm still bumping in to this issue with 2.3 billion points total in the project. (no files with more that 5 million points)

blast2dem -i *.laz -rgb -step 5 -odir rgb -o rgb_5x5.png -merged -scale_rgb_down

I tried using the tiled files with las2dem, but would get 1m white stripes between the tiles that mess with my later workflow.

Jon

Martin Isenburg

Oct 14, 2017, 11:08:10 PM10/14/17
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello Jon,

I have not yet. Also because its just so much more efficient to use a tile-based workflow. If you get white stripes between the tiles you are probably not doing the tile processing correctly with buffers:

Also I notice that you use a step size of 5 meters. How dense are your points? Maybe you can simply downsample your input points to a resolution that is more suitable for producing rasters of 5 meter pixels size:

blast2dem -i *.laz ^
                 -merged ^
                 -thin_with_grid 2.5 ^
                 -step 5 ^