lastile - the fastest tool for tiling LiDAR - has just gotten faster

Martin Isenburg

Aug 31, 2015, 7:38:20 AM8/31/15
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

folks tell me that their benchmarking tests have shown that nothing quite measures up to lastile in terms of throughput. Recently, while on-site with a client we have taken the performance of the tool one step further by allowing it to tile on multiple cores. It is, however, absolutely vital that your input is spatially indexed (those little LAX files) when using the new '-cores 4' or '-cores 8' option when tiling LiDAR with lastile. Otherwise you will slow down ...

Another new option is the possibility to flag all those points in the '-buffer 25' by adding the option '-flag_as_synthetic' or  the option '-flag_as_withheld' to the command line.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

Susana Gonzalez

Nov 4, 2015, 10:23:34 PM11/4/15
to last...@googlegroups.com

Hi Martin,

Will lastile process using multicores if I use the parameter -append when I am indexing the LAZ files?

So the script looks like:

lasindex.exe -i C:\input \*.laz -append -cores 7

lastile.exe -i C:\ input\*.laz -buffer 50 -reversible -odix _b50 –olaz

Cheers

Susana

Martin Isenburg

Nov 7, 2015, 11:22:11 AM11/7/15
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing

Hello,

To tile LiDAR with lastile *and* use the '-cores 4' option it is important that the data is indexed. Be it in external *.lax files or in internal LAX info that is appended to a *.laz file.

However, your lastile command line below is not functional if you simply add a '-cores 4' option as the '-reversible' option is not compatible with the '-cores 4' option. But i wonder if you even need the '-reversible' option ... many people that use it should not be using it as they have no need for the overhead that the reversibility introduces in the tiling.

http://rapidlasso.com/lastile
http://lastools.org/download/lastile_README.txt

Martin @rapidlasso

Susana Gonzalez

Nov 9, 2015, 7:16:35 PM11/9/15
to last...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

It’s a good point. I will delete the option '-reversible' and use more cores. Then I will use lascanopy with '–use_orig_bb'

Thanks