problem with overage

Oberon2712

May 11, 2018, 5:43:29 PM5/11/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hello,

I'm not sure if I made a mistake.
My batch is already running for 50 min without an output or a warning. That's why I'm not sure if I made a mistake.

I got 1100 flightlines with about 11.000.000.000 points. The last weeks I tryed a workaround with the thinning, now I decided, that it's probably better to remove the overage first and change the path in the other batches.
The batch looks like that:

c:\LAStools\bin\lasoverage -i g:\LAS-Dateien\spur*.las^
-files_are_flightlines^
-odir h:\flight_2012_flagged^
-olaz

Or does it help, when I first start a las2las to creat LAZ, than lasindex and start this batch again?

I'm using a Notebook Dual Core with 8 GB RAM.

Regards,
Sebastian

Martin Isenburg

May 12, 2018, 1:15:17 PM5/12/18
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

Correct me if I am wrong but the naming of your flight lines reminds me of the data of the "Bayrischer Wald" that was in an ASCII format. How did you convert it to LAS? Did you reconstruct the "number of returns of given pulse" field (e.g. 3rd of 4 returns) or do you only have return numbers (e.g. 3rd return)? There is a way to recover them for this data set using "lasreturn" that was implemented to deal with that data as part of writing a paper with a group of researchers. What about scan angles? I don't recall. Do you have those in the ASCII file?

Running lasoverage with 11 billion input points on a single core is not such a good idea. I suggest to first tile with buffers and then to run lasoverage in multi-core mode with as many CPU cores as you have from one physical drive to another physical drive.

lastile -i g:\LAS-Dateien\spur*.las ^
          -files_are_flightlines ^
          -tile_size 1000 -buffer 25 -flag_as_withheld ^
         -odir h:\tiles_raw -o bw.laz -olaz

lasoverage -i h:\tiles_raw\bw*.laz ^
                  -odir g:\tiles_overage -olaz ^
                  -cores 8

But this only works if there are scan angles in the data.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

Oberon2712

May 13, 2018, 8:17:57 AM5/13/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hello Martin,

thank you!
The data from 2003 were in ASC. I used FUSION to create LAS-Files. These data only got X Y Z - First/Last.
The data from 2012 already are LAS-Files, but I only got X Y Z return number and intensity. I don't have scan angles. Is it possible the create them?

If I don't got scan angles, I have to use lasthin - right!?

My laptop only has 2 Cores, so I will set 2.

Regards,
Sebastian