LAS file provided in a different coordinate system that I need.

Mihai Prelipceanu

Apr 10, 2017, 4:33:48 PM4/10/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing

Hello

I am new here and I have the following problem:

I downloaded a LAS tile file from Illinois Geospatial Data Clearinghouse.

I was told that data comes in metric system, NAD 83, UTM Zone 16N and NAVD88,

but I need it in US survey feet, NAD83, Illinois-East Zone, and NAVD88.

The LAS file has about half a million points and I would like to convert it in a TXT file

that can be used my coordinate system. I also can import LAS data in my photogrammetric

software, but the LAS data has to be converted first.

What LAS tool do I need? LAS2TXT doesn’t provide settings for the output file.

Do I need a Geographic Calculator for this task?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Regards

Mihai

Evon Silvia

Apr 11, 2017, 12:26:21 PM4/11/17
to last...@googlegroups.com
las2txt doesn't support reprojections. You'll just have to do what you want in two steps. Use las2las to change the units/projection, and then use las2txt to convert the resultant LAS files to TXT files. Something like...
  • las2las -i utm.las -o spc.las -target_spc83 IL_E -target_survey_feet -target_elevation_survey_feet
  • las2txt -i spc.las -o spc.txt -parse xyz
If you need more efficiency, use LAZ and/or look into Martin's piping workflow.

Evon
--
Quantum Geospatial Logo
Evon Silvia PLS

Martin Isenburg

Apr 12, 2017, 12:55:29 PM4/12/17
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

indeed. As long as you do not change DATUM (and you don't as you stay within NAD83) you can use las2las.

Then you would go from EPSG code 26916 to EPSG code 3435

add the navd88 info and convert the vertical units from meters to US feet. Either of these two command lines should do the trick:

las2las -i in.laz ^
            -epsg 26916 ^
            -vertical_navd88 -elevation_meter ^
            -target_epsg 3435 ^
            -target_elevation_survey_feet ^
            -o out.laz

las2las -i in.laz ^
            -nad83 -utm 16n ^
            -vertical_navd88 -elevation_meter ^
            -target_epsg 3435 ^
            -target_elevation_survey_feet ^
            -o out.laz

but they don't because there is a small bug of not setting  US feet for the target coordinates so that you get coordinates scaled in meters despite the EPSG code stating otherwise. I already fixed this for the next release but I can send you the fixed executable already now (send me a private message).

You can then output text with las2txt or directly specify text output (use '-o out.txt' instead).

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso