Datum Transformations from las2las?

gmcw49...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2016, 5:47:27 PM11/9/16
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Are Datum Transformations now available in las2las?
Would like to go from NAD83 to NAD83 HARN for Washington State ....
Thanks!
Guy

Martin Isenburg

Nov 9, 2016, 5:51:40 PM11/9/16
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

sorry. You can change the EPSG code from NAD 83 to NAD 83 HARN but the coordinates will not actually be re-projected by las2las from LAStools in the current implementation, but if there is an easy formula we could add this. Also see Kirk's blog from NOAA CSC at

if it is even worthwhile considering.

Regards,

Martin

gmcw49...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2016, 7:31:52 PM11/9/16
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
According to my co-worker, the difference between coordinates in NAD83 vs NAD83 HARN can be up to 4 feet in Washington State.
Might not make much of a difference to 3 foot DEM, but could be significant to the point cloud ...

I have no idea how simple the formula are, but I can not imagine they are simple ...

Guy

Kirk Waters - NOAA Federal

Nov 10, 2016, 7:19:26 AM11/10/16
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
The shift from NAD83(86) to NAD83(HARN) can be done with the NGS NADCON program (http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/TOOLS/Nadcon/Nadcon.shtml). However, it doesn't know anything about LAS. Underlying the tool are grids with the shift for different areas (grids are by state if I recall correctly). Interpolating those grids gives the shift in lat lon at a given lat lon.

There are also a couple programs (geocon and geocon11) out there for the shift in NAD83 realizations from HARN to NSRS2007 and from NSRS2007 to 2011. I haven't looked to the underlying grids for those, but I expect the shifts to be fairly small. That might not be true in areas of rapid plate movement such as Southern California and I should probably go take a look.

Kirk Waters, PhD                     | NOAA Office for Coastal Management
Applied Sciences Program      | 2234 South Hobson Ave
843-740-1227                          | Charleston, SC 29405