Using LAStools with QGIS 2.14.3 on a native Linux platform (Ubuntu 16.04)

Nico GIS

Jun 30, 2016, 6:28:00 AM6/30/16
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to use the LAStools algorithms within QGIS 2.14.3 on a Ubuntu 16.04 (64 bits) operating system ? Or eventually simply within the bash terminal ?
I precise I can't use Wine to simulate any Windows environment on this machine.

As all individual tools are also provided as python files, I thought it was maybe possible to use LAStools as a standard QGIS plugin...

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

Martin Isenburg

Jul 20, 2016, 8:00:07 AM7/20/16
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

sorry. But for the non-open source tools (see the LICENSE.txt file) you will have to go via "Wine" and many many people have done so successfully. Sometimes people seem to have issues with the OpenGL GUI hubs when running on Wine on Linux on head-less machines and for this purpose we created a LAStools-cli.zip package that has all of the binaries stripped of an OpenGL GUI code.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

Martin Isenburg

Oct 29, 2016, 3:18:42 AM10/29/16
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

also the OpenGL stub-less command-line only Windows executables have been updated today. Those are sometimes needed to run LAStools via Wine on head-less Linux servers. We created a LAStools-cli.zip package that has all of the binaries stripped of an OpenGL GUI code that is occasionally updates as well (like today)

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso