Powerline detection and monitoring of vegetation encroachment

André Große-Stoltenberg

Jun 15, 2015, 8:03:25 AM6/15/15
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am looking for a solution to use LiDAR data and Lastools for powerline/powerpole detection including monitoring of vegetation encroachment.
I know that with Lastools you can detect buildings, but I could not find a workaround for powerlines/powerlines.

There were similar questions asked in this forum before, and I also searched for literature online, but I could not find a good answer.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
André

Nicolas Cadieux

Jun 15, 2015, 8:24:55 AM6/15/15
to last...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
I would contact Hydro-Québec geomatics team. They use Lidar for their equipment (line, poles...) To my knowledge, they have a company that classifies the data for them. They could point you to some resources.

Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca

Terje Mathisen

Jun 15, 2015, 10:56:59 AM6/15/15
to last...@googlegroups.com
I was probably one of the respondents back then, I have looked at this
problem from a theoretical viewpoint:

A power line is usually quite obvious using visual inspection of point
clouds, particularly in area with vegetation: Look for the clear cut
gate in the forest, any changes in direction contains a pole. :-)

I would suggest a search algorithm somewhat like this:

Look for a linear set of points, with small point-to-point delta in
absolute height, and all the points located at least 4 or 5 m above the
ground surface. I.e. start by placing the z value in the extra bytes
attribute, then remove all points which are less than a minimum height
above ground (high voltage lines are usually significantly higher than
local distribution lines).

In this set of points which would contain buildings, high vegetation
_and_ power lines you discard everything which has a uniform x-y
distribution, we only want linear features.

Among these points we can then do a final fitting of catenary lines,
each location two such lines meet we'll have a power pole.

Terje

--
- <Terje.M...@tmsw.no>

Dimitri Lague

Jun 16, 2015, 5:20:17 AM6/16/15
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi André,

If you don't have billions of points to process, you can use CANUPO (Brodu and Lague, 2012) implemented in Cloudcompare . It's a general 3D classifier based on geometric characteristics of objects. It works really well to detect powerlines, although I'm sure there are other tools around. The best is to construct a classifier by training it on a few cases typical of your configuration (see here : http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/index.php?title=CANUPO_%28plugin%29). Even if the tutorial is on TLS data, it works on any kind of 3D point cloud, including ALS.

I can also send you a classifier that I developed to extract powerlines in forest environments. It might work for you.

Regards

Dimitri
Dr Dimitri Lague, Chargé de Recherche CNRS, Quantitative Geomorphology
Géosciences Rennes, UMR 6118 CNRS
Université Rennes 1, Campus de Beaulieu
35042 Rennes Cedex - FRANCE
Tel : +33 (0) 223235653
Fax : +33 (0) 223234375
www : http://www.geosciences.univ-rennes1.fr/spip.php?rubrique95
Laser scanning webpages: http://www.geosciences.univ-rennes1.fr/spip.php?article1125

Feb 7, 2017, 8:11:56 PM2/7/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing, dimitr...@univ-rennes1.fr
Hi Andre,

I wouldn't mind seeing the classifier that you developed to extract powerlines in forested environments.

Thanks,

Dwight

Leandro Blunk

Oct 17, 2017, 6:59:14 AM10/17/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi Dimitri, Im working on the same as André, and have the same problems. Could you share the classifier that you develope to extract the PL? It would be a great help.

Tnk you!

Patrick Hogarth

Oct 18, 2017, 3:22:20 AM10/18/17
to last...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dimitri,

I’m also looking for a solution to identify powerlines and isolate them from surrounding vegetation. Would be fantastic if you would share the classifier that you have developed.

Kind Regards

Patrick

Steeve Brissette

Oct 18, 2017, 4:00:18 AM10/18/17
to last...@googlegroups.com
He is not talking about Lastools, he use Canupo.. from my point of view, I think I can figure something out for the powerline, I will just need to digitized the right of way, mostly cleared of trees. Than use lasclip to extract, and classify everything who respect some criteria, like elevation, no nearest point in “z”, different intensity... yeah, I am working on it, I am new to this, but I believe in Lastools.

Steeve Brissette
Civil/Geomatics Technician
TDB Consultants Inc.