Re: [LAStools] Step Size Basis

Ty Kennedy-Bowdoin

Apr 1, 2013, 5:32:07 PM4/1/13
to lastools
Aaron,
In this context, step size would be the output resolution (pixel size) of your raster data (DEM).  LAStools will interpolate a value for every output pixel based on the grid that you designate using the step parameter.

Usually, you would want a step size close to the spot spacing of your lidar data to give you the best ability to resolve small objects. So, if the lidar flight plan was to collect data at 1 m spot spacing, you might use something like 1 m step size. Some applications might require a smoother surface, in which case you might want to make your step size larger than the spot spacing like maybe 5 m.

Cheers,
Ty

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:50 AM, <aaron.dougl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm a beginner user of LASTOOLS, and I was wondering if someone could please explain what step size does.  For example in this command:

Las2dem –I CLIP_37.las –o CLIP_37_dsm.tif –v –step 1 –nad83 –utm 17T –meter –elevation_meter –kill 200

I see from the README file that it causes the raster to have a stepsize of the specified value, but I am unclear what this means.  When would it be beneficial to have a larger/smaller step size, and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Aaron

--
Download LAStools at
http://lastools.org

--
Ty Kennedy-Bowdoin
Carnegie Institution for Science

Terje Mathisen

Apr 2, 2013, 1:50:29 AM4/2/13
to last...@googlegroups.com
aaron.dougl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a beginner user of LASTOOLS, and I was wondering if someone could
> please explain what step size does. For example in this command:
>
> Las2dem �I CLIP_37.las �o CLIP_37_dsm.tif �v�step 1 �nad83 �utm 17T
> �meter �elevation_meter �kill 200
>
> I see from the README file that it causes the raster to have a stepsize
> of the specified value, but I am unclear what this means. When would it
> be beneficial to have a larger/smaller step size, and why?

The step size is the resolution of the final grid, in your case measured
in -meter (which is also the canonical value).

You would use something like -step 2 or -step 5 if you don't need to
know the elevation for every single square meter, instead getting a
lower resolution grid.

Terje
--
- <Terje.M...@tmsw.no>

How Yien Chang

Oct 19, 2017, 9:54:49 AM10/19/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi,

What about if i use step size of 0.05 m ? and i don't know the spot spacing of my lidar data, how can i know that?

Regards,
HY

Martin Isenburg

Oct 21, 2017, 12:52:23 AM10/21/17
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

Use lasinfo to compute the average last return density and last return spacing as follows

E:\LAStools\bin>lasinfo -i ..\data\fusa.las -nh -nv -nmm -nr -cd
lasinfo (171011) report for ..\data\fusa.las
covered area in square units/kilounits: 62492/0.06
point density: all returns 4.44 last only 4.21 (per square units)
      spacing: all returns 0.47 last only 0.49 (in units)

By counting only the last return from each laser pulse fired we essentially count each pulse that was fired only once (in contrast to the all return density that is more of a measure of "how much fluffy stuff / vegetation / structures / wires / building edges / etc" is there on the terrain. In this case each pulse generated an average of 4.44 / 4.21 = 1.05 returns. An empty soccer field generates an average of 1.0 return per pulse. A tropical forest or a power station may generate up to average of 5 returns per pulse.

The image resolution for generating a DTM does not have to be much finer than the pulse spacing (i.e. the last return spacing) as the best we can hope for is that each pulse hits the ground and that therefore for the "fusa.laz" file that the ground was sampled with returns that are on average 0.49 units apart. So for "fusa.laz" a DTM with a resolution of 0.5 meters would probably capture all the elevation information that the laser pulses could have possibly captured ... assuming the spacing of pulses hitting the ground is more or less uniform.

However, some scanning systems / flight patterns / ... produce highly non-uniform pulse distributions on the ground so that the "average spacing" may be misleading. Have a look at this blog post:

To more exactly compute the spacing between your last return LiDAR samples run this:

E:\LAStools\bin>las2tin -i ..\data\fusa.laz ^
                                      -last_only ^
                                      -histo_only edge_length 0.1
edge length histogram histogram with bin size 0.1
  bin [0,0.1) has 663
  bin [0.1,0.2) has 3634
  bin [0.2,0.3) has 10288
  bin [0.3,0.4) has 247678
  bin [0.4,0.5) has 46179
  bin [0.5,0.6) has 108588
  bin [0.6,0.7) has 106505
  bin [0.7,0.8) has 122776
  bin [0.8,0.9) has 94903
  bin [0.9,1) has 31486
  bin [1,1.1) has 5721
  bin [1.1,1.2) has 2441
  bin [1.2,1.3) has 2755
  bin [1.3,1.4) has 2176
  bin [1.4,1.5) has 807
  bin [1.5,1.6) has 409
  bin [1.6,1.7) has 361
  bin [1.7,1.8) has 1175
  bin [1.8,1.9) has 239
[...]

So maybe a DTM pixel spacing of 0.3 units will allow you to also capture the terrain variations in open areas whenever the pulses happened to be closer to another than 0.5 units.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso