Individual tree location /stem detection using lastools

spete...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2017, 2:23:17 AM8/3/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hello,

I am working with 4-8 ppm2 airborne lidar data of even-aged single species pine tree forests in South Australia.
My goal is to detect individual trees (and tree crowns). Based on literature, there are different solutions depending on the type of forest and lidar point density.
If I am not mistaken, lastools doesn't have a solution for tree identification (?). In this forum potential solutions were mentioned - producing isolines etc.
I was wondering if someone has had a similar task or solution using lastools and or other software?

Best greetings
Stefan

Susana Gonzalez

Aug 4, 2017, 2:22:52 AM8/4/17
to last...@googlegroups.com, Martin Isenburg

Hi Stefan,

We are still using canopy maxima from FUSION, waiting for Martin to implement it in LAStools 😊

Cheers

Susana

Susana Gonzalez - Forest Engineer, LiDAR Science

Interpine Group Ltd

DDI:  +64 7 350 3209 or Australia 0280113645 ext 722
Skype:        sugonar

Address :   99 Sala Street, PO Box 1209, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand
Website :
www.interpine.co.nz

Interpine Innovation is Shaping Today’s Forests with the Technology of Tomorrow

He rangahau tenei ra he hangarau apopo

Dominik Jaskierniak

Aug 4, 2017, 3:26:14 AM8/4/17
to last...@googlegroups.com, Martin Isenburg

Hi Stefan,

Considering LasTools hasn’t have a tree detection algorithm, you can always consider R (CRAN):

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lidR/lidR.pdf

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rLiDAR/rLiDAR.pdf

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/itcSegment/itcSegment.pdf

Regards

Dom

Silvia Franceschi

Aug 4, 2017, 5:30:24 AM8/4/17
to last...@googlegroups.com, Martin Isenburg
Hi Stefan,
we developed some tools for treetops extraction in the JGrassTools library (http://moovida.github.io/jgrasstools/), which can be used now as a plugin for gvSIG (https://blog.gvsig.org/2017/03/02/on-the-road-to-gvsig-2-4-jgrasstools-and-geopaparazzi-plugins-for-gvsig-desktop/).
Here you can find the basic tools.
Do you also have field data for verifying the results?

Best regards

Silvia

ing. Silvia Franceschi
Via Latemar, 22
38030 Castello di Fiemme (TN)

tel: 0039 -3384501332

Karen Arnold

Aug 4, 2017, 6:53:49 AM8/4/17
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,
I have recently used Forest Tools package in R for individual tree detection.
Best regards
Karen Arnold