Clipping LAS Files to a Set of Predefined Corners with Tile Names

Mark Prenter

Jul 5, 2016, 6:16:35 PM7/5/16
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hey guys, I've a several thousand LAS files that form a non-overlapping grid of points to cover a project area.  The client has a defined tile layout with sheetnames that he wants the tiles delivered in.  I have this layout in a shapefile with the desired tilename as an attribute.  I know LASClip will clip out polygons using a shapefile, but is there a way to have it name the tile using the attribute?  Alternately, is there any other way I can cut the tiles to this new layout and name the tiles correctly?

Thanks,
Mark Prenter

Mark Prenter

Jul 20, 2016, 7:25:14 AM7/20/16
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Bump....

Martin Isenburg

Jul 20, 2016, 7:45:29 AM7/20/16
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello Mark,

currently lasclip does not access the "attribute table" of a SHP file. The extracted polygons are simply names in the order they are stored in the SHP file. Can you extract the names in the order they are listed in the "attribute table" of a SHP file? Then a very simply batch script looping over the files and renaming them should be easy to write. Alternatively - if the file names are named based on their bouding box of the polygon in the SHP file (e.g. base_llx_lly.laz) then a renaming step would be easy to add to lasclip without having to access the  "attribute table" ...

Regards,

Martin