Extracting Building footprint polygon using Las Tools

Florina Dutt

Oct 5, 2017, 9:20:07 PM10/5/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi ,

I would like to know how I would extract just building footprint polygon from Lidar point cloud data?
I do not need the entire building shape polygon that might be possible using las Boundary tool but just footprint polygons. If anyone could explain me the possible steps it would be really helpful.

Martin Isenburg

Oct 15, 2017, 12:16:21 AM10/15/17
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

with lasboundary you can extract polygons of where buildings are when you have a the points corresponding to buildings (or their roofs) classified in the point cloud. You will not get simple, rectified polygons but - depending on the density and the quality of your input you can get reasonable results as shown in the attached images. I also attach the two (well documented) scripts that were used to do the classification and the derivative extraction. A similar workflow for larger inputs is described here:

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

PS: Want to meet rapidlasso GmbH in person and talk LiDAR, photogrammetry points and LAStools? See our upcoming event schedule here: http://rapidlasso.com/events

lidar_preparation_small_project.bat.txt
france_classified_point_cloud.jpg
france_extracted_building_polygons.jpg
generate_derivatives_small_project.bat.txt