Corners of building roofs are classified as hight vegetation. How to change that?

Lucie Botta

May 16, 2018, 7:58:40 AM5/16/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Dear all,

The corners of the roof buildings are wrongly classified as high vegetation. How can I remove the classification as vegetation  from my buildings and change the points that belong to the roof to building classification?

Best regards
Lucie Botta
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Steeve Brissette

May 16, 2018, 9:13:59 AM5/16/18
to last...@googlegroups.com
Try using WIDE GUTTER

Steeve Brissette
Civil/Geomatics Technician
TDB Consultants Inc.

<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

Tobias K Kohoutek

May 16, 2018, 9:14:18 AM5/16/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Dear Lucie,

automatically you might have the chance to use lasheight and set the classification for points above a specific height to class 6. Of course here comes the difficulty that you might have also heigh trees. You've to check your data regarding tree height vs. building height. Otherwise there will be only manual labour to reclassify those points.

Cheers,
Tobias

Martin Isenburg

May 17, 2018, 1:33:14 PM5/17/18
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

the algorithm in LAStools is searching for and classifying planar roofs (not entire buildings). One approach to get more of the building classified would be to use the found roof points, create polygons from them, buffer the polygons by 50 cm or so in each direction and then classify all points falling into these buffered polygons while ignoring ground / noise / points above a certain height / etc ... also into the building class (or better first to a temporary other class) using lasclip.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

Ringle, Bill

May 17, 2018, 2:41:50 PM5/17/18
to last...@googlegroups.com

This would not help with peaked/pitched roofs, correct?

Floris Groesz

May 18, 2018, 8:29:26 AM5/18/18
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
all solutions based on the classificatin og single points will have difficulties. Vectorization og the found building points and buffering is also not ideal in my opinion.
Using context is a better solution but as far as I know this is not possible with LAStools (yet).
The detection of planar surfaces is a good start. These planes should then be used as seeds in a region growing procedures. So instead of using a fixed buffer, the points on the building edges should be evaluated using several criteria.
This is possible in software like eCognition and other OBIA (object based image analysis) software.

Floris