How to completely uncompress the LAZ data to point clouds with LAS format??

dong chen

May 29, 2017, 6:48:31 PM5/29/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing

Dear Martin,
Could you tell me why my *.LAZ data file cannot be uncompressed completely?
Could you give me some hints, many thanks.

Martin Isenburg

May 31, 2017, 7:10:31 AM5/31/17
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello Dong,

these kind of errors usually occur when a LAZ file is truncated, which often happens when a download is interrupted and you did not use a download client that was able to restart the download from where it was interrupted. Given the name of your folder I assume that indeed a partial download of the LAZ file is the culprit here.

Regards.

Martin @rapidlasso

dong chen

Jun 1, 2017, 12:52:31 AM6/1/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing

Thanks Martin, According to your comments, I directly download the tile data with LAZ format (3km * 3km for each tile and the density is about 20 pts/m2. Web link: https://www.pdok.nl/nl/ahn3-downloads) but unfortunately Cloud Compare or QT software still show information like below by directly loading LAZ file.

These commercial softwares only show part of point clouds below:

I also try to convert these LAS files to corresponding LAS format, the output information still shown the errors as follows:

So I wonder whether or not the original laz data has some problem or any other else? As the above link data is large-scale data over nearly entire Netherlands and the data quality is amazing, so Martin I would appreciate your help if you could download one of the tiles and make the evaluation of these LAZ data. Many thanks.

在 2017年5月31日星期三 UTC-6上午5:10:31,Martin Isenburg写道:

Martin Isenburg

Jun 1, 2017, 3:28:03 AM6/1/17
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello Dong,

The files are definitely truncated. Either they are stored truncated like this on the server. Or they are truncated when your download via an unreliable connection that fails. I suggest using a download manager that can resume interrupted downloads. I use wget in the command line with the '-c' option.

wget -c http://geodata.nationaalgeoregister.nl/ahn3/extract/ahn3_laz/C_25HN1.LAZ

If wget tells you it successfully downloaded the file and it still shows up as missing half the file then some error happened at the AHN3 site during upload and you should maybe let them know.

Regards,

Martin

cai...@vicforests.com.au

Jun 15, 2017, 3:34:39 AM6/15/17
to last...@googlegroups.com
Dear Martin,

We are trying to process some Lidar data in Cloud server 30 day only

One thing we could try would be to upload some of the LiDAR data and a copy of LAStools and a licence and Python and try and process the data in the cloud.

I'm not sure if there will be any licence or other problems if we try this.

I'd like to know if there is anything we need to be aware of before we try please?

Regards

Cai Li  I  GIS Analyst, Resources  I  VicForests

Level 12, 461 Bourke Street, Melbourne  Vic  3000  I  G P O Box 191, Melbourne   Vic   3001

T:  +61 03 9608 9571  I   F:  +61 03 9608 9566  I  E:  cai...@vicforests.com.au

Notice:

confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright. No part of it should be
reproduced, adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the
copyright owner.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return
email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised
to use, communicate or rely on the information contained in this email.

David Friedrich

Jun 15, 2017, 9:43:36 AM6/15/17
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cai,

first of we need to know what operation system your "cloud" is using.
LAStools are only available for Windows at the moment.

David

Martin Isenburg

Jun 15, 2017, 10:09:38 AM6/15/17
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello Cai,

turns out that LAStools is the perfect LiDAR processing software for cloud employment. I have several big clients that process humongous amounts of data in the cloud. What they like about the way that LAStools licensing works is that it gives them incredible scalability. The office-wide or company-wide commercial licenses (as well as the lab-wide or university-wide academic licenses) allow an unlimited number of seats to be invoked in the licensed location. So if 40000 square kilometer of LiDAR have to be processed in one month you could potentially temporary rent 100 computers, install LAStools on all of them, do your scripted batch processing (often combined with GDAL, FUSION, or R), and then give back those 100 computers as soon as you are done. Not sure this can be done as easily with other software. I wonder how feasible it is, for example,  to install 100 seats of Microstation and Terrascan in the cloud.

If your cloud are linux machines you can run LAStools via Wine. There is a special "LAStools-cli.zip" distribution for head-less server environments that is being run successfully via Wine on several cloud services and super computers around the globe. So give it a try and if you run into problems download this command line only (cli) version of LAStools:

http://lastools.org/download/LAStools-cli.zip

It does not get updated quite as frequently as LAStools.zip so let me know if there are issues that require a recompile.

Martin @rapidlasso

David Friedrich

Jun 16, 2017, 10:00:21 AM6/16/17
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

i have a question regarding your comment.

Do you offer some kind of command and control interface to do the job creation and data deployment to client installations of LAStools?

Saludos,
David

to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello David,

such an infrastructure does not exist. Most seem to combine LAStools with other scriptable software into longer processing chains and then use their own scripts or software to fire up LAStools with the right command line parameters. I do offer consulting and customization in order to support I/O efficient cloud employment of LAStools-based pipelines.

Regards,

Martin