file limit of lasmerge

Pei Chun Lai

May 5, 2015, 11:51:41 PM5/5/15
to last...@googlegroups.com
hello everyone,

I have lots of las files to merge.  They are small data so I succeed to process files.
However, I am curious about file limit of lasmerge such as the numbers of files or size of merging files
Dose any one know about it ?

thank you

Pei_Chun

Newcomb, Doug

May 6, 2015, 9:31:38 PM5/6/15
to last...@googlegroups.com
Pei,
If are merging to files that can be consumed by software that reads LAS 1.2, there is an approximately 4.2 billion point limit for the LAS 1.2 file format.

Doug

--
Doug Newcomb
USFWS

Heidemann, Hans

May 7, 2015, 12:03:04 AM5/7/15
to LAStools
LAS 1.4 would theoretically support ~18,446,744,073,709,551,615 points.

How many FILES can be supported could be related to the architecture of the specific lastool being used, or by the operating system (i.e., how many file handles can be open simultaneously). Your system memory might play into that as well.

I suspect only Martin could definitively answer your question.

Karl

H. Karl Heidemann, GISP
Physical Scientist, Lidar Science
U.S. Geological Survey
Mundt Federal Building
47914 252nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD  57110

"Nothing matters very much, and very few things ... matter at all."
- Arthur James Balfour

Martin Isenburg

May 7, 2015, 2:36:12 AM5/7/15
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

if you want to merge so many LAS 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3 files whose total number of points exceeds 2^32-1 = 4,294,967,295 then you need to upgrade the format to LAS 1.4 as follows:

las2las -i many\*.laz -merged -set_version 1.4 -o merged14.laz

If you want to *quickly* check the total number of points in the set of LAS/LAZ file you want to merge into one file you should run:

lasinfo -i many\*.laz -merged -no_check

There should not be a limit on the number of files. That said - in general I advise people against merging too many LiDAR points into too large files. I consider this bad practice. For LAStools (and many other LiDAR softwares) can always "merge on-the-fly" using the '-i many\*.laz -merged' option. In my experience using reasonably sized tiles is a more practical way to manage large amounts of LiDAR.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso