compiling laszip on OSX (El Capitan)

Carlos Grohmann

May 18, 2016, 9:56:22 AM5/18/16
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi,

I'm trying to compile laszip on OSX. My first attempt was with Homebrew. There is a recipe for it (http://brewformulas.org/Laszip), but the only commands I get with this are "laszippertest" and "laszip-config" (I was expecting "laszip").

Then I downloaded the src file (laszip-2.2.0.tar.gz) and run the usual ./configure, make, make install. Again, no laszip command was installed. So I went to GitHub, but it looks like the devel version needs to be compiled with cmake. Anyway, I ran autoconf.sh (got some errors) and tried to run ./configure (more errors).

Looking at the homebrew formula, I tried "cmake ." and then make, make install. This time I got

Install the project...
-- Install configuration: ""
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/liblaszip.6.0.0.dylib
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/liblaszip.1.dylib
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/liblaszip.dylib
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/liblaszip_api.6.0.0.dylib
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/liblaszip_api.1.dylib
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/liblaszip_api.dylib
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/include//laszip/
-- Installing: /usr/local/include//laszip//laszip_api.h

So it looks like this is only installing the library, not any executables. Is that right? If so, how to zip/unzip las files?

thanks

Howard Butler

May 18, 2016, 10:10:44 AM5/18/16
to last...@googlegroups.com
Carlos,

The LASzip standalone library is just for other applications to provide LAZ support. It does not come with a command line utility to read/write LAZ data. That would require something that could speak LAS.

You can get that through either LASlib, libLAS, or PDAL. The former two have Homebrew recipes.

$ brew install liblas
$ las2las myfile.las myfile.laz

Hope this helps,

Howard
> --
> Download LAStools at
> http://lastools.org
> http://rapidlasso.com
> Be social with LAStools at
> http://facebook.com/LAStools
> http://twitter.com/LAStools
> http://linkedin.com/groups/LAStools-4408378
> Manage your settings at
> http://groups.google.com/group/lastools/subscribe

Martin Isenburg

May 18, 2016, 10:19:31 AM5/18/16
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

the answer that Howard gave covers the three options. Here some more info on the first. I think (or rather hope) that my simple (hand-written & old-school) Makefiles still do the trick on most Linux systems. I know they do on the one I use for testing. Either download LAStools from here

or fork it on github

and then do the following:

cd LAStools
make
cd bin
ll laszip

The source that is the standalone compressor based upon the LASlib (with LASzip) library is here:

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso