e572las

RGrowler

Apr 14, 2017, 4:22:56 PM4/14/17
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
I am a new to your software and am having trouble converting an e57 to a .laz fle.  The e57 was exported from Faro Scene in state plane coordinates and in US Survey feet.  When the e572las.exe tool is used to convert the file it seems to lose the georefferenced coordinates.  When I view the properties of the newly created .laz  in the lastool GUI the coordinates shown  in the lower left appear to be centered around the origin.  Values range from the negative to positive along all axies (XYZ)
What am I doing wrong?
is there a way to convert back to feet?

Martin Isenburg

Apr 14, 2017, 4:53:43 PM4/14/17
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

it's been quite a while since I wrote the little E57 to LAS conversion tool.

And as there was not a lot of feedback development has stagnated since. In particular I had written that "Most notably the tool does  not yet apply transformations and/or rotations that can be specified  in a E57 file, which will then lead to wrong results when merging scans." and it may as well be that your Faro export is in local coordinates and that the translation, scale, and rotations to go to US Survey feet state plane coordinates are not "flattened" into the coordinates but stored as transformations and/or rotations by the Faro exporter.

Is there a tool like lasinfo (aka e57info) that produces a textual overview on what is in an E57 file?

Regards,

Martin