Open sourcing LastCalc

Ian Clarke

Mar 9, 2012, 12:12:55 PM3/9/12
to last...@googlegroups.com, habe...@gmail.com
I've had some interest from people about open sourcing LastCalc so that people could help me work on it.  I liked this idea but I was concerned about someone simply cloning the site and not contributing their improvements back to the open source project (which, as a web service, the GPL wouldn't obligate them to do).

Then I discovered this: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl.html

It's the GNU Affero General Public License which is designed to address exactly this issue.

So, if I were to open source the code under this license, and put a bit of work into explaining the codebase to people, would anyone be interested in contributing?  It's implemented in Java, with heavy use of JQuery in the front-end, all built on Google App Engine.

I think the key stuff that LastCalc current lacks are the ability to have user accounts, and the ability to publish worksheets, and also import them - so that people can share their creations and we can build up an ecosystem of useful tools.

Thoughts?

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke

Liam Goodacre

Mar 9, 2012, 9:03:15 PM3/9/12
to last...@googlegroups.com, habe...@gmail.com
I would be interested in contributing, if I have time.

Ian Clarke

Mar 9, 2012, 9:51:02 PM3/9/12
to last...@googlegroups.com, habe...@gmail.com
Here it is! https://github.com/sanity/LastCalc

It's a Google App Engine project set up to work with Eclipse and the Google App Engine plugin for it.

See if you can get it up and running, let me know if you have problems and I'll try to help.

Ian.

Co-founder and CTO
OneSpot