POODR

Cynthia Kiser

Nov 7, 2013, 1:21:12 AM11/7/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Great discussion this evening. Welcome to all the new folks who turned out to start discussing Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby. Hope to see you again - in 2 weeks. We will not be meeting November 13th. Instead a few of us are going to go to the Code for LA organization meeting. If you want to join us, please sign up at http://www.meetup.com/codeforla/events/143849142/

I won't try to recap all of our discussion topics for this evening but I did want to post links to a few things that were mentioned.

Also, Sandi Metz will be speaking at the December 5th San Diego Ruby Meetup (at UCSD). Some of us may want to drive down - too bad we never finished Ride Bum to arrange our carpools. We have a month if anyone wants to revive it: https://github.com/byronanderson/Ride-Bum

The Engineering and Applied Sciences division is hiring a Ruby on Rails developer. Job listing is here https://jobs.caltech.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=171941 If you are interested in applying, feel free to contact me privately for more information.

John Ryan

Nov 7, 2013, 1:32:19 PM11/7/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:21:12 PM UTC-8, Cynthia Kiser wrote:
too bad we never finished Ride Bum to arrange our carpools. We have a month if anyone wants to revive it: https://github.com/byronanderson/Ride-Bum

Looking at the commit graph, I see that you have a number of commits on top of Byron's master.  To get the latest, I'm assuming we'll fork from your repo?

Cynthia Kiser

Nov 7, 2013, 1:55:20 PM11/7/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Looks like you are correct. I was going to say that LA-Rubyists was
the best option. Perhaps I should merge the changes I have on my fork
back into the LA-Rubists repo.

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
c...@ugcs.caltech.edu

Jen Diamond

Nov 7, 2013, 2:15:36 PM11/7/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to work on that.
Is there anything specific that needs work that you know of?

Machiko Yasuda

Nov 7, 2013, 3:23:44 PM11/7/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
See you Nov. 13th Cynthia!

Cynthia Kiser

Nov 8, 2013, 1:32:06 AM11/8/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Jen Diamond <thejen...@gmail.com>:
> I'd like to work on that.
> Is there anything specific that needs work that you know of?

Looking at the last commit I pushed, there is a failing feature that
indicates I was at the point of adding ride offers to events. I had
some additional work on my local copy that I hadn't pushed because it
wasn't working. I pushed it just now so you can see where I was trying
to go next. The rides controller looks like it is working - except for
the permissioning. I think the permission spec indicates the intended
design and I had added a line at the top of the rides controller file
that I thought would work - and it just breaks everything.

If you would like to take it up, then I would suggest looking at
CanCan and figuring out how to do fine-grained permissions that are
based on an associated model.

I also have a TODO file of notes tha I don't want to commit because I
am not sure they all make sense (even to me). This is what it has in
it at the moment:

Number or identify carpools sensibly (not the ride.id)

If you are already a driver, don't show the "I'll drive" link.

Show slots for passengers equal to the number of available seats

BACKLOG
_______

Restrict ride actions to event planner and invitees

Notifier doesn't update invitation.email_sent

Invitation needs to find or create user - or we need to relax
uniqueness constraint on email

Get rid of devise validatable and reimplement all the rules ourselves
password not required - but if present must match confirmation,
have min length
email and usernames unique

John Ryan

Nov 11, 2013, 11:56:12 AM11/11/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense.  I had forked from you and sent a pull request.  But it's much easier to simply be working on the same repo.

While we're talking tools, I created a "LA Ruby Study Group" organization in Trello and created a board for Ride-Bum.  I seeded it with the backlog you posted, here.

Jen: are you on Trello?  If so, what's your handle?  If not, what email address would I send the invite to?

Are others interested_in+have_the_time_to participate?

Jen Diamond

Nov 11, 2013, 3:19:39 PM11/11/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com

John Ryan

Nov 11, 2013, 5:31:29 PM11/11/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Cool!  Added.

Yukio Mizuta

Dec 8, 2013, 9:17:39 PM12/8/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
I haven't attended for a while,
but this book is exactly what I needed and I already read through it.
I want to say thank you, for choosing this great book :)

Yukio

John Ryan

Dec 9, 2013, 5:45:33 PM12/9/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
And I'm certainly hoping that we can continue to talk it through…  I've actually used this book in a book study at my current client and gotten some terrific insights by digging in deeper.  If we're lacking in a way to shape our own discussion I have some ideas.

- John

Ricky Manriquez

Dec 11, 2013, 3:59:47 PM12/11/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Are we on for tonight, Dec 11th?

John Ryan

Dec 11, 2013, 6:20:31 PM12/11/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
There's a Meetup Event for it and I've RSVPed.  I'll be there! :)

Jen Diamond

Dec 12, 2013, 3:04:59 AM12/12/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
This is the link to the group.

I don't see you on there so I'm not sure where you signed up. What's the link to the group you signed up with?

Bruce

Jan 16, 2014, 1:54:26 AM1/16/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi study buddies, did you pick another book?

Cynthia Kiser

Jan 16, 2014, 4:21:20 PM1/16/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Bruce <bruce...@gmail.com>:
> Hi study buddies, did you pick another book?

We didn't. I have a couple of things I want to do Wednesday evening's
this month so the study group is taking a break until after
LARubyConf. But that isn't any reason we can't get started suggesting
what we want to do next.

The next thing I want to read is Refactoring in Ruby - the workbook
for Refactoring: Ruby Edition. Any one else interested?

http://devblog.avdi.org/2010/04/08/refactoring-in-ruby/

Bruce

Jan 17, 2014, 11:46:05 PM1/17/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
That sounds interesting.

Cynthia Kiser

Mar 2, 2014, 2:15:19 AM3/2/14
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Bruce <bruce...@gmail.com>:
> Hi study buddies, did you pick another book?

OK sorry for the delay getting study group going again. But new month, let's get started. I have put up a new survey so we can decide if we are staying with Wednesday evenings - or moving to Monday night. And I listed a couple of books that we might want to read. If I understand the SurveyMonkey interface, I think they have added an option that will add items added as "Other" to the voting options. So if you have something you would like to read with the group, please try to take the survey ASAP so everyone has a chance to vote for your suggestion.