Options for our next book

Cynthia Kiser

Oct 17, 2013, 2:00:14 AM10/17/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
We had a great discussion this week on how Rack::Builder works. John, with expert code navigation from Yukio, walked us through how Rack::Builder sets up the call stack for the example app in the docs. I wouldn't want to try to reproduce it from memory but there were some interesting observations. For example, the delayed execution caused by wrapping a proc around each application means that not all of the applications are instantiated - only the ones that actually get called are created. And that the "longest match wins" property of Rack::URLMap comes from way it sorts a list of urls.

Next week we will be finishing Rebuilding Rails with a beefy chapter creating our own router. Please read through the chapter and try to work through the exercises.

We took a little time this week to discuss options for our next book. Feel free to add to this thread to add ones I forget to mention - or ones you would like to put forward for consideration.

Practical Object Oriented Design with Ruby - http://www.poodr.com/ (yes we read it - but with different group members)
  OR something in the DevOps category - especially a Chef or Puppet book like Test-Driven Infrastructure with Chef or Pro Puppet

Or a bit further afield, a JavaScript book like Effective Javascript or the screencast series Let’s Code: Test-Driven JavaScript http://www.letscodejavascript.com/

Jen Diamond

Oct 17, 2013, 3:35:05 AM10/17/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I went to the codeforLA meetup tonight and will be at the Future Stack Conference next week but I think that: a JavaScript book like Effective Javascript  or Javascript The Good Parts would be awesome.

Adam Lowe

Oct 17, 2013, 2:06:29 PM10/17/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Confident Ruby is the current Ruby Rogues book club book and so they have a discount for something like 7 bucks off using the code roguesclub

Cynthia Kiser

Oct 17, 2013, 3:36:02 PM10/17/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Adam Lowe <tidalin...@gmail.com>:
> Confident Ruby is the current Ruby Rogues book club book and so they have a
> discount for something like 7 bucks off using the code roguesclub

Thanks for the heads up. Even if we don't pick this for our next book,
it is on my 'want to read' list so this sounds like a good opportunity
to pick it up.

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
c...@ugcs.caltech.edu

John Ryan

Oct 18, 2013, 10:42:52 AM10/18/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
It is interesting that as a Ruby group, we're seriously entertaining investing a chunk of time on a completely different language.  That said, if we were to do such a thing, JavaScript would have to be that language.  It's up and coming and is likely in the midst of a revival.

Having thought about it... personally, I'm really interested in developing depth, and specifically in Ruby and Rails, at this moment in my technology portfolio (it's really what drew me to this study group!).  If we were to do a book that's not centered on Ruby or Rails, per se, I'd love to at least stay within the realm.  The "Understanding Computation" book fits that bill.

My current thinking:
  1. POODR
  2. Crafting Rails 4 Applications
  3. Understanding Computation
  4. Confident Ruby
  5. Deploying Rails
  6. Let's Code: TDD JavaScript
  7. Effective JavaScript

Richard Manriquez

Oct 18, 2013, 12:57:46 PM10/18/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
For whoever brought up Javascript: The Good Parts,  this video series was a much better experience for me from Crockford than that book:

It's mostly an overview of Javascript, HTML and programming in general.  It's one of the strongest influences and piqued my interested in web programming. Here are the notes I took on it, if you want an idea on what topics he covers:

See you guys next week.  Hope we pick a good book.

-Ricky

John Ryan

Oct 18, 2013, 8:07:34 PM10/18/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
That's an interesting point (about the book vs. the vids).  I sat through most of Crockford's series.  I found it rather inspiring, especially in the beginning.  I've never read his book.  Thanks for sharing your notes.

John Ryan

Oct 23, 2013, 1:18:05 PM10/23/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
The vote's tonight!!!!!

I'd love to hear people's opinions... any advocating for one book over another?!?!?

Richard Manriquez

Oct 24, 2013, 1:03:22 PM10/24/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Here is the Ruby Rogues podcast with Sandi Metz, including show notes:

John Ryan

Oct 25, 2013, 12:31:12 PM10/25/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing this, Ricky.

That podcast episode was such a rich conversation, I'm half expecting to hear this kind of thing in our discussions:  "... and the Ruby Rogues hit this topic too!  and James Edward Gray said ... and Sandi Metz told him..."  I strongly recommend that if you haven't listened to it, to do so.  There's technique and then there's the reason why you'd do it; and they really touch on the heart of this in that discussion.

Cynthia Kiser

Oct 25, 2013, 10:01:07 PM10/25/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
I updated the MeetUp event page but looks like I neglected to post the information to this list. Our next book is going to be Practical Object Oriented Programming In Ruby by Sandi Metz. We will be starting it the first Wednesday in November.

For next week, 10/30/13, we will be finishing chapter 9 of Rebuilding Rails. This chapter ties the Rack::Builder stuff we discussed week before last into rebuilding the Rails router. Should be a lot of fun.

While you are waiting for your copy to arrive (I guess for you ebooks fans, that's about a minute or two), the podcast that RIcky posted a link to is a really good one.

Jen Diamond

Oct 26, 2013, 1:48:51 AM10/26/13
to laruby...@googlegroups.com
I am actually psyched to read this book again!