Problem migrating label with unusual apostrophe in the name

Eduardo Fernández

Jun 2, 2010, 10:32:06 AM6/2/10
to la...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm using larch to perform a large migration of a client's Google Apps account with about 100k emails and a couple hundred labels. Everything went well until larch started with the following Gmail label (font size increased to notice the apostrophe):

"Teddy’s Bike"
Note the apostrophe, it's not your regular ' apostrophe, it's a different one:

I believe the problem lies in the weird apostrophe, because I had no trouble with other labels which had the regular apostrophe. I logged larch's output with the insane option:

S: RUBY0150 OK Success^M
[17:19:28] [info] imap.gmail.com/Teddy<E2><80><99>s Bike -> imap.gmail.com/Denny<E2><80><99>s Hawthorne
[17:19:28] [debug] [<] Teddy<E2><80><99>s Bike: getting mailbox status
C: RUBY0163 STATUS "Teddy&IBk-s Bike" (MESSAGES UIDNEXT UIDVALIDITY)^M
S: * STATUS "Teddy&IBk-s Bike" (MESSAGES 167 UIDNEXT 170 UIDVALIDITY 607519705)^M
S: RUBY0163 OK Success^M
[17:19:28] [fatal] Attempt to update object did not result in a single row modification (SQL: UPDATE `mailboxes` SET `uidvalidity` = 607519705 WHERE (`id` = 62))
[17:19:28] [info] 0 message(s) copied, 0 failed, 0 deleted out of 7507 total
[17:19:28] [debug] performing database maintenance

And that's it, any suggestions other than changing the label name?

Thanks!

Eduardo

Ryan Grove

Jun 2, 2010, 12:22:15 PM6/2/10
to la...@googlegroups.com
2010/6/2 Eduardo Fernández <efgon...@gmail.com>:

> I'm using larch to perform a large migration of a client's Google Apps
> account with about 100k emails and a couple hundred labels. Everything went
> well until larch started with the following Gmail label (font size increased
> to notice the apostrophe):
>
> "Teddy’s Bike"
> Note the apostrophe, it's not your regular ' apostrophe, it's a different
> one: ’

*snip*

> And that's it, any suggestions other than changing the label name?

Thanks for the report and the debug output; that's very helpful.

For now, the quickest workaround will probably be to just change the
label so you can continue with your migration. I'll log this as a bug
and investigate. In theory this should work fine, but it seems like
SQLite isn't pleased with that character for some reason.

- Ryan

Eduardo Fernández

Jun 2, 2010, 1:49:17 PM6/2/10
to la...@googlegroups.com
Do you know of any other characters that make SQLite/larch die?

Thanks for your help and for a great tool!

Eduardo

Ryan Grove

Jun 2, 2010, 4:08:59 PM6/2/10
to la...@googlegroups.com
2010/6/2 Eduardo Fernández <efgon...@gmail.com>:

> Do you know of any other characters that make SQLite/larch die?

I'm not aware of any, since in theory Larch and SQLite should be fine
with any UTF-8 string. But this bug seems to indicate that there's
either a character encoding problem in Larch or a bug in SQLite, so
there may be more problematic characters that haven't yet been found.

- Ryan