List of significant languages

ric

Apr 11, 2012, 1:08:08 PM4/11/12
to LangPop
I'm appalled that no where included in your list is RPG (Report
Programming Generator).
It has been the base language of the most relevant computer in
existence (The IBM iSeries).
It was the base language for the IBM 360, 370, System/3, System/32,
System/34, System/36, System/38, As/400, iSeries. It also was based
in the Burroughs B1900, B2900, and B3900 systems.
Other languages missing are SPS (Symbolic Programming System), and
Autocoder.

These languages were very significant in the business world since
there was a period of time that the computers that used these
languages were the most prevalent in use!

It appears that most of your languages are micro based and only a few
are mid-main frame based. This is so far beneath what I would expect
from academia. Please clarify your position to a fifty year IT
professional!

Ric Weide

David Welton

Apr 12, 2012, 8:42:45 AM4/12/12
to lan...@googlegroups.com, rcw...@aol.com
> It appears that most of your languages are micro based and only a few
> are mid-main frame based. This is so far beneath what I would expect
> from academia. Please clarify your position to a fifty year IT
> professional!

Well, you are welcome to a refund for all the money you spent on it.

Normally, how this works is that if people want to see a language
added to the list, they politely suggest why it should be included,
and I do, if I have time.

"Hi,

I noticed that your list doesn't include a lot of languages for
mainframe computers, which is an area I know well. One that you could
add is RPG, which was used to power most Brontosauruses, as well as
many of the earlier Triceratops, and even a few Tyrannosaurus Rexes,
before they succumbed to more nimble rodent-based systems from
Cupertino, Seattle, and Helsinki. It is still widely used, however in
Crocodiles and Sea Turtles, and meets the criteria for inclusion in
your list.

Thanks".

Thanks,
--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Ric Weide

Apr 12, 2012, 12:27:36 PM4/12/12
to davidn...@gmail.com, lan...@googlegroups.com
Gee!
What an exciting response to my very passive comment.  It sure gives me so much comfort to become aware of the antagonistic, egotistical, arrogant commentary from one who I thought was a valid contributor to our profession.  My feelings are that you are an insult to a very great occupation, and without those archaic devices, you would not have the sophisticated technologies of today.  Having been an IT executive responsible for several landmark innovations, I am sure that I would rank you among the several highly educated pinheads I have "fired" for their ineptness.
Thanks for your sarcasm. It really amused me!

Ric Weide

David Welton

Apr 12, 2012, 5:40:52 PM4/12/12
to Ric Weide, lan...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

When someone writes me an email starting off about how they are
"appalled", that's not something I view as "very passive".

Here are some things that show up with the word "appalling" when one
searches news.google.com

* A 10 year old girl giving birth.

* Teenagers hurl kitten into stream.

* Various articles discussing Trayvon Martin's death.

* The violence in Syria

* and the Saint's bounty plan to take out other teams' players.

Your favorite computer language not appearing on a list you paid
nothing for is probably not in the same category as the rest of these
things.

Ric Weide

Apr 13, 2012, 1:09:52 AM4/13/12
to lan...@googlegroups.com, davidn...@gmail.com
You are a classic.  Does anyone believe you are an adult!  You are one of the most arrogant and obnoxious individuals I have ever encountered.  I am not the only person looking at your list and finding it incomplete, as well as your personality.  I would really like to have an intelligent conversation with you but based on your level of maturity, It would seem like you bringing a knife to a gunfight.  I don't believe that we need to communicate further and wish you well.

Ric Weide

David Welton

Apr 13, 2012, 4:14:58 AM4/13/12
to Ric Weide, lan...@googlegroups.com
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.