Meetup 14 November: Intro to Monads (part 2)

Andreas Pauley

Nov 1, 2011, 4:00:21 AM11/1/11
to lambda-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks to all who came to our previous gathering, it was a lot of fun
chatting with you.

Just a reminder that our next meetup is Monday 14 November.
Last time we endeavored to all read up about monads some more and then
continue our discussion.

I've also created a few online groups for us on other places, so more
people can stumble upon the awesomeness that is FP :-)
The primary place for discussions can stay here as far as I'm
concerned, since we are all subscribed already.

If you are a member of any of these websites, please join the group
and maybe invite one or two interested people.
Meetup Group - http://www.meetup.com/lambda-luminaries/
LinkedIn Group - http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Lambda-Luminaries-4126016
Facebook Group - http://www.facebook.com/groups/167987693294051/

Kind regards,
Andreas

--
http://pauley.org.za/
http://twitter.com/apauley

Justin Kourie

Nov 1, 2011, 4:44:49 AM11/1/11
to lambda-l...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff. I haven't fully grokked monads yet, but I think I've got functors
down now... ;)

See you guys on the 14th then.

signature.asc

Rehno Lindeque

Nov 2, 2011, 4:36:32 AM11/2/11
to lambda-l...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, sorry I don't think I've replied yet - see you there!

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 10:44 +0200, Justin Kourie wrote:
> From:
> Justin Kourie
> <justin...@gmail.com>
> To:
> lambda-l...@googlegroups.com
> Re: Meetup 14 November: Intro to
> Monads (part 2)
> Date:
> Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:44:49 +0200

Handré Stolp

Nov 3, 2011, 10:03:08 AM11/3/11
to lambda-l...@googlegroups.com, Rehno Lindeque
I haven't really had a chance to read up some more but I will see you
guys there next week.

Andreas Pauley

Nov 14, 2011, 3:34:29 AM11/14/11
to lambda-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

See you tonight at 19:00 at Bugatti's.

Regards,
Andreas

Andreas Pauley

Nov 15, 2011, 1:53:02 AM11/15/11
to lambda-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Great chatting to all of you again last night.

Here is the monad page I showed, The Dead Simple, No Chit Chat,
Zero-Analogy Haskell Monad Tutorial:
http://unknownparallel.com/monads.php

Our next meeting is Monday 12 December.
Dolan suggested that we discuss functional reactive programming and
Justin volunteered to show us his monad presentation.
Looking forward to both :-)

Until next time,
Andreas

Rehno Lindeque

Nov 15, 2011, 2:00:44 PM11/15/11
to lambda-l...@googlegroups.com
By the way guys, I'm reading some basic category theory stuff on a blog called one of my favourite blogs: "Good math, bad math". It looks like it could be a nice read after our monad meetup :)

Specifically:

http://scientopia.org/blogs/goodmath/2011/10/25/fun-with-functors/

Handré Stolp

Nov 15, 2011, 2:48:13 PM11/15/11
to lambda-l...@googlegroups.com
I found I think the article Rehno was talking about that has the
diagram of the type classes and gives a good overview too (
http://www.haskell.org/wikiupload/e/e9/Typeclassopedia.pdf ). It nicely
explains the relationship between the type classes and gives
suggestions for further reading.

Rehno Lindeque

Nov 15, 2011, 4:20:56 PM11/15/11
to lambda-l...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah! That's the one I was looking for last night. It shows which type classes inherit from others, i.e. our whole monoid is more general than monad discussion