LambdaLounge upcoming meetings: Internet of Things & call for speakers!

Hakim C

Apr 1, 2017, 2:25:21 PM4/1/17
to lambda-loung...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, just to let you know about the upcoming meetings:

April: CANCELLED as our usual date clashes with Easter Monday.

May 15th: Internet of Things extravaganza!
Speakers:
* Qambar Raza (BBC) who will be talking about his experiments with IoT in Clojure.
* YOU? (see below)

Jun 19th: (I will be away, any volunteers to host this?)

Jul 17th: TBD (see below)

Aug 21st: (by demand - often the summer months are very quiet, but please shout if you'd like to do something in this slot!)

Sep 18th:  Back to School special!
We'll follow the good example set by DJ Adams in his very popular introductory talk on Recursion and Pattern Matching and offer one or two talks on some of the essentials of Functional Programming, suitable for all.
Speakers TBD (see below)

Call for Speakers:
=============

As you can see, there are a few gaps in the schedule.  I do have a few tentative speakers for some of these sessions, but could YOU be the one to step in?

If you've been to any of our meetings, you'll know that we can guarantee an enthusiastic and welcoming crowd.
We abide by a simple but effective Code of Conduct at http://www.lambdalounge.org.uk/doc/conduct

And never fear, it doesn't matter whether you are an enthusiastic beginner to FP, or have multiple computer science Ph.Ds:  Just in the last 6 months we've had talks about:

 - basics of recursion and pattern matching
 - programming in the threaded function style
 - an introduction to Elixir
 - data structures of text editors

We welcome all, and are very keen to show a good example by encouraging a diverse range of speakers!

Please let me put my money where my mouth is by offering to pay for reasonable travel, food, and accommodation costs for any speakers from any traditionally under-represented groups (be it for example gender, sexuality, ethnicity, social background, or if you would otherwise be unable to attend financially).
(I'm not entirely sure yet how this will work, so please get in touch if you'd like to discuss, or if you would also like to contribute to costs!)

Finally, if you have any doubts about whether your topic is suitable or you have enough experience to talk, please get in touch!

All the best,
Hakim

Chi-chi Ekweozor

Apr 26, 2017, 9:44:29 AM4/26/17
to Manchester Lambda Lounge

Hi Hakim,

Hope you're well.

Thanks for all you've done to get the word out about Lambda Lounge.  Saw your tweets about May's event and the call for speakers...

I can help host on 19 June, and happy to do a Learn Elixir - Part 2 talk on 18 Sept.  Can follow DJ Adams lead, but wasn't at his talk so please clarify expectations... :)

Also, what does hosting involve?

Best,

Chi-chi

Hakim C

Apr 26, 2017, 5:23:58 PM4/26/17
to lambda-loung...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chi-chi,

Thanks, that sounds great!  So, for June I don't have any speaker lined up, so that's probably the most important thing :-)

Running the event isn't all that hard, here's a short brain-dump (perhaps Rick or DJ or others who have hosted will chip in with anything I missed)

- confirm speaker & topic
- post some teaser tweets *
- 1 week before: schedule tweets leading up to event *
- the week before: announce by email to the usual mailing lists *
(* are things I can help with)

Then on the night itself:
- show up early to MadLab
- help speaker get set up and connected to projector
- let people in on the speakerphone, and help them get seated if it's busy
- welcome people
- start the evening off around 7:10-7:15
- herd people out of the room by 9:00pm

How does that sound?

Another Elixir talk in Autumn sounds great, what kind of topic are you thinking of covering for this session?  Will it be suitable for people (like me!) who missed the first part?

Hope that's all good, and we can talk things over at the May session if you're there?

All the best,
Hakim

DJ Adams

Apr 28, 2017, 5:25:45 AM4/28/17
to lambda-loung...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good - nothing more to add to what Hakim has said about the tasks. I should be around for the June one too, so can help host if need be!

cheers!
dj

Chi-chi Ekweozor

Apr 28, 2017, 10:48:56 AM4/28/17
to Manchester Lambda Lounge, dj.a...@pobox.com
Hi Hakim and DJ,

Thanks for your replies.

DJ: Yay for co-hosting!

Hakim: The June event is still a way off.  There is yet time for a speaker to emerge...

Yes, should be there at the May event.

"Another Elixir talk in Autumn sounds great, what kind of topic are you thinking of covering for this session?  Will it be suitable for people (like me!) who missed the first part?"

Good questions - I will recap the key points from the Learn Elixir 1 talk at the Part 2 in September.  I was thinking of covering the various dictionary types including maps.  To do so, I will touch on Lists, again, and a little bit of recursion.

How does that sound?

Best,
Chi-chi

Hakim C

May 2, 2017, 4:55:30 PM5/2/17
to lambda-loung...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Our upcoming meeting on 15th May is shaping up nicely, we now have a second confirmed speaker, Spencer Marsden, a creative technologist at the BBC's consumer technology showcase The Blue Room.

This will then segue into Qambar Raza's talk on Clojure with IoT: Qambar's been busily working on this and blogging his findings at http://qambarraza.com/

For more details see:

​We can still make time for more talks, if you would like to speak or can recommend a speaker.  5-15 minute short talk slots would be perfect, so (for example) if you have been tinkering with a Functional IoT project and would like to briefly introduce it​, then let me know!

All the best,
Hakim