Transposing of Matrices without creating a new one

Sven Wirz

Jul 31, 2014, 4:04:56 PM7/31/14
to la...@googlegroups.com
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I got a brief question: which is the best way to implement A^T * A * x, where A is a sparsematrix, A^T the transposed sparsematrix and x a given vector. I just doesn't seem efficient to create two Matrices to accomplish my goal.

sincerely
S. Wirz

Vladimir Kostyukov

Aug 3, 2014, 11:45:22 PM8/3/14
to Sven Wirz, la...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sven,

I see what are looking for. Looks like "multiply matrix by its transpose" it's a popular thing. For now, it's not possible to do that w/o overhead. Even an upcoming in-place operations won't help here. The only way to do that is to create an additional tranposed matrix.

I've created a ticket regarding this request https://github.com/vkostyukov/la4j/issues/200 (bingo 200!). For now, I'm planing to handle this in 0.6.0 release.

Thank you for the request! Feel free to ask any further questions on la4j.
--
Thanks,
Vladimir Kostyukov