uMotio - Get yours now! (Crowdfunding Live)

Tom Van den Bon

Apr 14, 2014, 3:53:28 AM4/14/14
to house...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com, h4h...@googlegroups.com, kznhouse4hack, Ignatius Havemann
Morning Guys,

As requested, the uMotio crowdfunding campaign is now live! Get yours now at:

What you need to know:

(1) There are 20 earlybird pledges available
(2) Free regular shipping (SAPO) included, but there is also a courier pledge if you want peace of mind. And lastly we can also deliver to one of the gauteng hackerspaces (best option). Just drop me an email if you prefer that.

Even if you don't want a uMotio, please help spread the word. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom & Ignatius

--
Tom Van den Bon

Tom Van den Bon

Apr 14, 2014, 7:02:17 AM4/14/14
to house...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com, h4h...@googlegroups.com, kznhouse4hack, Ignatius Havemann
>>Is it easier to have it deliverd to h4h for you guys.

It doesn't really make a difference on our side, but delivering it to House4Hack is cheaper for you guys than going with the Courier. And the normal delivery is SA Postal which has it ups and downs.

Will look into the combine items

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Tim Haak <tim....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

Is it easier to have it deliverd to h4h for you guys.

With the normal delivery are you using sa post office ?

Also there doesn't seem to be a  way to combine items.

Tom Van den Bon

Apr 17, 2014, 4:57:39 AM4/17/14
to house...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com, h4h...@googlegroups.com, kznhouse4hack, Ignatius Havemann
Awesome! Thanks for you support :)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Rob Zeilinga <glock...@gmail.com> wrote:
My Orders in :)
Tom I will collect from h4h when available

Tom Van den Bon

Apr 18, 2014, 3:44:33 AM4/18/14
to house...@googlegroups.com, Ani Vermeulen, binar...@googlegroups.com, h4h...@googlegroups.com, kznhouse4hack, Ignatius Havemann
Hi Ani,

We are currently doing a small run of about 100 units. Unfortunately the way indiegogo is setup is that every pledge counts towards the goal. a regular uMotio is $65, which would mean for a 100 units the goal would be $6500. We do however also have the option to ship with courier and the courier pledge also counts toward the goal. This means if we made the goal only $6500 then we would fall short of the 100 units, because the shipping/courier costs would make the final amount go over the goal before we have reached the 100 units. Add to that the option of the bluetooth versions as well and we can have a problem if the goal amount and the amount units don't match. To keep the costs down we need to reach at least a 100 units, otherwise it gets too expensive. There is very little profit margin added to the units since we feel we would rather get more units out there. Because of this there isn't a lot of breathing room should something go wrong. At this point if the campaign is just just successful then we break about even on the costs and a 100 units are shipped. We could have gone with less units and make them more expensive, but I feel that gesture technology is just in the beginning of what can be done with it, By making it as cheap as possible, more people get their hands on the technology and more different real world applications emerge from it.

It's not the ideal way of doing things though, Would be nice if Indiegogo had the option to make your goal a set amount of units, instead of just a final money amount. But I guess it all depends on what exactly you are trying to crowdfund.

As for the fixed funding, apart from the fact that if there is only 50 units then we fall short on the costs, I also feel that putting a flexible funding method kinda defeats the purpose of crowdfunding. You ask for a set amount, but you will take whatever you get gives me the sense that you don't actually need the full amount, so why not just make the full amount smaller.

It's about trying something new here and I'd rather have the campaign fail because the market isn't there for it, than have it be successful and we can't deliver as promised.

Worst case scenario, if the campaign doesn't reach its goal then we'll probably re-evaluate about the direction of uMotio. A single campaign definitely won't make or break the future of uMotio. Everybody has responded pretty good on the concept and idea of uMotio, so we are motivated to get it out there, even if we have to change strategies a few times. The crowd funding campaign is a first for us, and it's been a good learning experience so far

All in all, the campaign still has a while to go and we do have some cool updates coming so I'm pretty confident we will reach our goal. Mostly I think people just haven't heard about it yet, but news have been travelling thanks to great articles such as the one Adam did on htxt and were starting to see the traffic increase. It's all about getting the word out there :)

Thanks for everybody who has supported us so far, we appreciate it a lot!

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Ani Vermeulen <jace...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Tom,

I was very impressed by the demo you guys did, but have a quick question: At the demo I got the impression you were aiming for a smallish crowdfunded campaign. You mentioned a target of around 100 units and spoke about the in-house production and that if you got more you did have contacts to go to 3rd party production.

So when I visited the campaign page I almost fell out of my chair to see that you're aiming for $10k?!?

That's a serious goal. Makes me worry. Especially with the fixed funding model. If you fail, you won't have to pay any fees which is good (lesson learnt from SFD last year!) but it also means no Umotio production! What is the plan if things go south?

Ani