PSA: Kurento 7.0 moving to GStreamer 1.14 in Bionic

Juan Navarro

Jun 10, 2019, 12:34:51 PM6/10/19
to kur...@googlegroups.com
After weeks of integration work, we have a first preview of what will become the newest version of the project: Kurento 7.0!

The most important change in this release is that we'll be completely dropping the old GStreamer 1.8 fork that Kurento had been maintaining since pretty much the beginning of the project, in favor of using the newest official version of GStreamer 1.14, as provided by Canonical in Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic).

Mario Junior is a great contributor who provided the first steps to make an experimental version of Kurento built upon the newest GStreamer; his work was further developed by Paulo Lanzarin and me during the 2019 BigBlueButton Developer Summit, a fantastic opportunity for hands-on cooperation with their engineering teams, to push and facilitate development of Kurento itself.

Let us know about any regressions you might find! things like crashes, warnings in the logs, performance regressions or improvements, etc. are all interesting to hear.

To test, you can do a local installation (make sure you start from scratch, don't try to upgrade a previous Kurento install) but using this repository:

    deb http://ubuntu.openvidu.io/bionic-gstreamer bionic kms6

Or you can use the Docker image available here:

    docker pull kurento/kurento-media-server-exp:bionic-gstreamer
    docker run --name kms -p 8888:8888 kurento/kurento-media-server-exp:bionic-gstreamer

For now, all work is being done in the Git branch bionic-gstreamer, in several of the Kurento project repositories. We hope this is the first step into a more robust and stable Media Server, than can be the ideal solution for all your WebRTC and media streaming needs.

Cheers,

Juan Navarro
Kurento maintainer & developer
j1elo @ Twitter / GitHub

Kirill Danilov

Aug 29, 2019, 12:05:51 PM8/29/19
to kurento
Hi Juan,

our team heavily use kms, we are looking forward when kms7 will be released.

We also would like to know if the new KMS will support VP9

Best, Kirill

понедельник, 10 июня 2019 г., 19:34:51 UTC+3 пользователь Juan Navarro написал:
After weeks of integration work, we have a first preview of what will become the newest version of the project: Kurento 7.0!

This release will come with updates for pretty much every underlying library used by Kurento, plus improvements and bug fixes for Kurento itself. But by a wide margin the most important change in this release is that we'll be completely dropping the old GStreamer 1.8 fork that Kurento had been maintaining since pretty much the beginning of the project, in favor of using the newest official version of GStreamer 1.14 as provided by Canonical in Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic).

Mario Junior is a great contributor who provided the first steps to make an experimental version of Kurento built upon the newest GStreamer; his work was further developed by Paulo Lanzarin and me during the 2019 BigBlueButton Developer Summit, a fantastic opportunity for hands-on cooperation with their engineering teams, to push and facilitate development of Kurento itself.

For now, all work is being done in the Git branch bionic-gstreamer, in several of the Kurento project repositories. Moving to a newer version of GStreamer is a big change, and we'll be running our End-to-End test suites, together with stress tests and other usage scenarios. Meanwhile, you are welcomed if you want to try out this new preview, and have some feedback to provide.

Let us know about any changes you perceive if you check out this version! things like crashes, warnings in the logs, performance regressions or improvements, etc. are all interesting to hear. This is a big update that will come with lots of improvements and bugfixes, but a bit of breakage is also expected in this early stage.

To test, you can do a local installation but using this repository:

    deb [arch=amd64] http://ubuntu.openvidu.io/bionic-gstreamer bionic kms6

Or you can use the Docker image available here:

    kurento/kurento-media-server-exp:bionic-gstreamer

Note that the fixes to libSRTP ("unprotect error code 9") mentioned in this thread are already included too in this GStreamer 1.14 preview version.

The mid-term objective is to stabilize this version, which then will become the official Kurento version to be used on Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic). The older 6.x versions of Kurento will stop being supported on Bionic, although they will receive some minimal support for Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) users. Eventually, the Xenial versions will also stop being supported at some point in the future, moving forward with a single version of Kurento working on a single version of Ubuntu. This will speed up development of improvements and bug fixes, as we're extremely short on developer time and having to support multiple versions is a burden that impedes working on more urgent topics.

Shoaib Kiyani

Sep 20, 2019, 8:51:03 AM9/20/19
to kurento
Hi,

Please contact me on shoaib.ki...@gmail.com we need a consultant for webRTC.

Regards

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 9:34:51 PM UTC+5, Juan Navarro wrote:
[...]

Shoaib Kiyani

Sep 20, 2019, 8:52:00 AM9/20/19
to kurento
Hi,

Kindly share your email address as currently we require a WebRTC consultant.

[...]

Kirill Danilov

Sep 24, 2019, 5:39:30 AM9/24/19
to kur...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I'm not a consultant, coultdn't help, try to ask a question here

пт, 20 сент. 2019 г. в 15:52, Shoaib Kiyani <shoaib.kiy...@gmail.com>:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Juan Navarro

Jan 29, 2020, 4:57:10 AM1/29/20
to kurento
Hi, remember that you can have a look at the upcoming Kurento 7.0 by making use of these package repos or Docker images :-)

We'll be needing community feedback to make sure that the change to GStreamer 1.14 is not breaking existing applications. Although some backwards compatibility might get broken, upgrading from Kurento 6.x to 7.x should be mostly a painless exercise, except for bugs that might be introduced inadvertently.

So please if you have tested this new version and find any regressions, let us know

Regards

Alexander Savelyev

Jan 29, 2020, 11:00:07 AM1/29/20
to kurento
Has there any instruction to build it from sources?
I need to make change FPS and Resolution in Composite...

Juan Navarro

Jan 29, 2020, 1:06:14 PM1/29/20
to kur...@googlegroups.com
On 29/1/20 17:00, Alexander Savelyev wrote:
Has there any instruction to build it from sources?
I need to make change FPS and Resolution in Composite...

You should be able to build from sources like in Building from sources, but using the bionic-gstreamer apt repository, and then you "git checkout" the bionic-gstreamer branch in all sub-projects inside kms-omni-build:

cd kms-omni-build/
git submodule foreach "git checkout bionic-gstreamer"

Alexander Savelyev

Jan 30, 2020, 12:24:30 PM1/30/20
to kurento
Got this error during compile process:

[kms-build-run.sh] Run command:  CC='gcc' CXX='g++' cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS=ON  ..
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- CMake project: kms-omni-build
-- CMake project: kms-cmake-utils
-- Found Git: /usr/bin/git (found version "2.17.1")
-- Version info from git: 7.0.0~3.g4be64e5
-- Project version: kms-cmake-utils-7.0.0~3.g4be64e5
-- CMake project: kms-jsonrpc
If KurentoHelpers is not found, you need to install 'kms-cmake-utils' from the Kurento repository
-- Found KurentoHelpers: 7.0.0~3.g4be64e5 (found version "7.0.0~3.g4be64e5")
-- Version info from git: 7.0.0~4.ge7f3e56
-- Project version: kms-jsonrpc-7.0.0~4.ge7f3e56
-- Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.29.1")
-- Checking for module 'kmsjsoncpp>=0.6.0'
--   Found kmsjsoncpp, version 1.6.3-dev
-- Boost version: 1.65.1
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
--   unit_test_framework
-- Adding test: test_rpc
-- Adding custom target: 'check_build'
-- Adding custom target: 'check'
-- Adding custom target: 'valgrind'
-- Adding test: test_serialize
-- Found /usr/bin/kurento-module-creator
-- Found /usr/bin/kurento-module-creator
-- Found KurentoModuleCreator: 6.13.1-SNAPSHOT (found version "6.13.1-SNAPSHOT")
-- Resolving KurentoModuleCreator version ^6.7.0 with 6.13.1-SNAPSHOT
-- Try GNU SanitizerBlacklist flag = [-fsanitize-blacklist=/root/kms70/kms-omni-build/bin/sanitizers/blacklist.txt]
-- Performing Test SanBlist_FLAG_DETECTED
-- Performing Test SanBlist_FLAG_DETECTED - Failed
CMake Warning at kms-cmake-utils/3rdparty/sanitizers-cmake/cmake/sanitize-helpers.cmake:150 (message):
  SanitizerBlacklist is not available for GNU compiler.  Targets using this
  compiler will be compiled without SanitizerBlacklist.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  kms-cmake-utils/3rdparty/sanitizers-cmake/cmake/FindSanitizers.cmake:51 (sanitizer_check_compiler_flags)
  CMakeLists.txt:94 (sanitizer_add_blacklist_file)

-- CMake project: kms-core
If KurentoHelpers is not found, you need to install 'kms-cmake-utils' from the Kurento repository
CMake Error at kms-cmake-utils/CMake/VersionHelpers.cmake:301 (message):
  Version does not match >=7.0.0 with 6.13.1-SNAPSHOT
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  kms-cmake-utils/CMake/VersionHelpers.cmake:259 (check_version)
  kms-cmake-utils/CMake/GenericFind.cmake:56 (check_version_internal)
  kms-core/CMake/CodeGenerator.cmake:5 (generic_find)
  kms-core/CMakeLists.txt:16 (include)

See also "/root/kms70/kms-omni-build/build-Debug/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/root/kms70/kms-omni-build/build-Debug/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
[kms-build-run.sh] ERROR (1)
[kms-build-run.sh] #################### END ####################
root@streaming2:~/kms70/kms-omni-build#

Here is the log files:

Juan Navarro

Jan 30, 2020, 2:21:07 PM1/30/20
to kur...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you have installed the 6.x nightly packages? Check that you clean up all packages first, then change the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kurento.list file to write the bionic-gstreamer repo, and lastly install the dev packages.

This definitely works on a clean Ubuntu 18.04 system (tested with an empty Docker container)

Alexander Savelyev

Jan 31, 2020, 1:11:50 PM1/31/20
to kurento
Cool! I installed it. Looks awesome!
Composite is working way better and much more stable!!!

Thank you!

Igor Igor

Feb 3, 2020, 8:12:44 AM2/3/20
to kurento
Hello,

Do you have any plans to support RTX and/or FEC in Kurento 7? As I can see Gstreamer has it since version 1.14.2

BR, Igor

понедельник, 10 июня 2019 г., 19:34:51 UTC+3 пользователь Juan Navarro написал:
After weeks of integration work, we have a first preview of what will become the newest version of the project: Kurento 7.0!

Micael Gallego

Feb 3, 2020, 3:14:30 PM2/3/20
to kur...@googlegroups.com
First of all we want Kurento 7 be stable as a rock!!

We will evaluate if FEC can be added to WebRTC streams.

Best regards

Message has been deleted

Kinov Lee

Feb 5, 2020, 10:26:10 AM2/5/20
to kurento
7.0 not supporting turn relay ? the same turnserver and the same config,work in 6.13  but not work in 7.0

在 2019年6月11日星期二 UTC+8上午12:34:51,Juan Navarro写道:

Hemrajsinh Gharia

Apr 14, 2020, 1:26:23 PM4/14/20
to kurento
Hello all, Juan,

Anyone using/trying this latest version? how is the feedback? And is it production-ready?

@juan, will it improve Composite performance (specifically CPU usage) with GStreamer 1.14?

Thanks,
Hemraj

Alexander Savelyev

Apr 15, 2020, 2:49:27 AM4/15/20
to kurento
We are using latest 7.0 version on one of the server. It is much more stable in Composite but CPU usage is near the same.

Maxim Solodovnik

Apr 15, 2020, 12:15:13 PM4/15/20
to kurento
I'm using this version on DEV server, seems to work as expected

Hemrajsinh Gharia

Apr 15, 2020, 1:50:04 PM4/15/20
to kurento
And any timeline when we can expect version 7 officially will be released?

- Hemraj

Hemrajsinh Gharia

Apr 15, 2020, 1:50:21 PM4/15/20
to kurento
And any timeline when we can expect version 7 officially will be released?

- Hemraj

Micael Gallego

Apr 15, 2020, 11:42:36 PM4/15/20
to kur...@googlegroups.com
In the following weeks/months.

Best regards

Micael Gallego
Kurento / OpenVidu Project Lead

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bhojendra Rauniyar

Jun 7, 2020, 3:59:04 AM6/7/20
to kurento
Will you be interested to answer my query?

mehdi nazari

Jul 6, 2020, 7:14:12 AM7/6/20
to kurento
I tried to install kurento 7.0 on ubuntu 18.04 bionic (fresh install) but when i try the Hello World example, kurento media server crashes.

I tried the 6.14 version and it worked fine.

this is log from v7.0 (from /var/log/kurento-media-server/errors.log):

2020-07-06T15:35:36+04:30 -- New execution
Segmentation fault (thread 140419230435072, pid 5928)
Stack trace:
[srtp_get_stream]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsrtp2.so.1:0x6D80
[srtp_protect_rtcp_mki]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsrtp2.so.1:0x8D8C
[gst_plugin_srtp_register]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstsrtp.so:0x79ED
[gst_plugin_srtp_register]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstsrtp.so:0x99A6
[gst_flow_get_name]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0:0x7688B
[gst_pad_push]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0:0x7EBB3
[gst_proxy_pad_chain_default]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0:0x64AAB
[gst_flow_get_name]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0:0x7688B
[gst_pad_push]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0:0x7EBB3
[gst_proxy_pad_chain_default]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0:0x64AAB
[gst_flow_get_name]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0:0x7688B
[gst_pad_push]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-1.0.so.0:0x7EBB3
[gst_plugin_rtpmanager_register]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstrtpmanager.so:0x422A7
[gst_plugin_rtpmanager_register]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstrtpmanager.so:0x37DC2
[gst_plugin_rtpmanager_register]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0/libgstrtpmanager.so:0x40A21
[g_test_get_filename]
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0:0x73E05

Karel Boek

Aug 18, 2020, 10:18:42 AM8/18/20
to kurento

Same problem here; logs attached
errors.log
2020-08-18T141126.00000.pid26122.log

Maxim Solodovnik

Aug 18, 2020, 10:23:36 AM8/18/20
to kurento
I'm using dockerized version `kurento/kurento-media-server-exp:bionic-gstreamer` for development purposes without any issues

Karel Boek

Aug 19, 2020, 10:30:27 AM8/19/20
to kurento
I wiped the server and installed a clean Ubuntu 18.04; then installed 7.0 - still not working. As soon as I click the Start button in the Hello World example; the server logs this:

2020-08-19T14:22:55,762767 20829 0x00007f3e3affd700 warning dtlssrtpdemux             gstdtlssrtpdemux.c:134 sink_chain() <dtlssrtpdemux0>  received invalid buffer: 1
2020-08-19T14:22:56,333682 20829 0x00007f3e3affd700    info kmsutils                  kmsutils.c:494 kms_utils_pad_monitor_gaps() <'':sink_video_default>  Add probe: Detect stream gaps
2020-08-19T14:22:56,354719 20829 0x00007f3e3affd700 warning srtpdec                   gstsrtpdec.c:814 request_key_with_signal() <srtpdec0>  Could not set stream with SSRC 2904909981
2020-08-19T14:22:56,354800 20829 0x00007f3e3affd700 warning srtpdec                   gstsrtpdec.c:1262 gst_srtp_dec_chain() <srtpdec0>  Invalid buffer, dropping
2020-08-19T14:22:56,359244 20829 0x00007f3e3affd700 warning srtpdec                   gstsrtpdec.c:814 request_key_with_signal() <srtpdec0>  Could not set stream with SSRC 1560350507
2020-08-19T14:22:56,359280 20829 0x00007f3e3affd700 warning srtpdec                   gstsrtpdec.c:1262 gst_srtp_dec_chain() <srtpdec0>  Invalid buffer, dropping

And then repeats the 2 last messages forever until I click the Stop button

Yuichiro Tsuchiya

Sep 30, 2020, 2:10:07 AM9/30/20
to kurento

Hi, now I'm using the new version of Kurento, KMS7, and having trouble at playing video stream from PlayerEndpoint consuming RTSP.
Please see the example gif movies pasted here: https://github.com/tuttieee/kms7-decoder-bug-example
As you see, in the video streamed by KMS7, almost all frames are grayed-out.

My pipeline is a simple one, just like `PlayerEndpoint(url=rtsp://...) -> WebRtcEndpoint`.
It's a simple JavaScript client.

During playing, the KMS7 outputs the log below:
```
0:04:19.798065219  1246 0x7fad4400e0f0 ERROR                  libav :0:: no frame!
0:04:19.798081648  1246 0x7fad4400e0f0 WARN                   libav gstavviddec.c:1751:gst_ffmpegviddec_frame:<avdec_h264-0> avdec_h264: decoding error (len: -1094995529, have_data: 0)
0:04:19.848197348  1246 0x7fad4400e0f0 ERROR                  libav :0:: no frame!
0:04:19.848259666  1246 0x7fad4400e0f0 WARN                   libav gstavviddec.c:1751:gst_ffmpegviddec_frame:<avdec_h264-0> avdec_h264: decoding error (len: -1094995529, have_data: 0)
```

This log implies a fundamental problem lies in the input video stream.
However, in the case of KMS6, while the same error appears too, but the video is played without no visual problems.
Then, I think this can be considered as a drawback of upgrading KMS.
(The error in the case of KMS6 is below. It's the same ones while the line number differs.)
```
0:04:19.223950365  1381 0x7f8148090770 ERROR                  libav :0:: no frame!
0:04:19.223962425  1381 0x7f8148090770 WARN                   libav gstavviddec.c:1528:gst_ffmpegviddec_frame:<avdec_h264-0> avdec_h264: decoding error (len: -1094995529, have_data: 0)
0:04:19.724015901  1381 0x7f8148090770 ERROR                  libav :0:: no frame!
0:04:19.724028656  1381 0x7f8148090770 WARN                   libav gstavviddec.c:1528:gst_ffmpegviddec_frame:<avdec_h264-0> avdec_h264: decoding error (len: -1094995529, have_data: 0)
```

2020年8月19日水曜日 23:30:27 UTC+9 karel...@raskenlund.com:

Yuichiro Tsuchiya

Sep 30, 2020, 11:01:06 PM9/30/20
to kurento
Hello,
I'm sorry that I didn't tell the camera I used to reproduce the bug below.
I have created an issue in the bugtracker ( https://github.com/Kurento/bugtracker/issues/532 ) and have written details including it.
Thanks!

2020年9月30日水曜日 15:10:07 UTC+9 Yuichiro Tsuchiya:
Message has been deleted