Grub Error 18

Deepan

Mar 30, 2008, 6:20:42 AM3/30/08
to kul...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I have installed Fedora on Macbook. It works fine
when I boot it in native mode. However, when I
boot it via parallels, I get the following error.
Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum
supported by BIOS. I do understand that this
error is thrown when Grub tries to read an address
beyond the end of BIOS translated area. Is this a
problem with Grub or BIOS ? My boot partition is
the first partition.
Regards
Deepan
Home Page: http://www.codeshepherd/
Sudoku Solver: http://www.sudoku-solver.net/

D. Hageman

Mar 30, 2008, 12:19:18 PM3/30/08
to kul...@googlegroups.com

Did you see this URL? It would appear that you aren't alone.

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=10926

D. Hageman <dhag...@dracken.com>
Dracken Technology, Inc. http://www.dracken.com/

Billy Crook

Mar 30, 2008, 2:29:40 PM3/30/08
to kul...@googlegroups.com
the 'Bios' in a VM system comes from the VM system, so it sounds like
Parallels is presenting a BIOS is either misrepresenting the size of
the disk, or perhaps the /boot partition is "too far out" towards the
end of the disk. Try:

Using qemu or vmware or virtualbox to see if the problem is just with parallels

Moving the linux /boot partition to the beginning of the drive using a
partitioning utility.

Steve Nordquist

Mar 30, 2008, 10:19:00 PM3/30/08
to kul...@googlegroups.com
Good link, Deepan! To wit, Parallels' engineer James Romanov says in it:
> Please try to use
> Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s4;disk0s3
PVS file entry there. Also, Sck Nogas (okay, there's a name with a
workable agenda) had to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, and use
bootcamp.

His Disk0 having linux in UNTITLED, it seems:
"
Biko:~/Documents/Parallels sck$ diskutil list disk0
/dev/disk0
#: type name size identifier
0: GUID_partition_scheme *186.3 GB disk0
1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Biko 131.0 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data UNTITLED 15.0 GB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data Windows_XP 40.0 GB disk0s4
"

What drive holds his Steam account? Oh well.