Kuliax 6.0

oui

Nov 2, 2008, 8:26:06 AM11/2/08
to Kuliax Project
Hi

As I did not find the way to install successfully Kuliax 8.0 RC (thank
you for the friendly information in the message below in this message
list, I did re-download and reinstall Kuliax 6.0, so I have now a very
actual Debian system based on Kuliax 6.0, with

- Kernel vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-686 with GSPCA module
- MANpc File Manager 0.3.2.2 (this little program from http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/
is really better thanks the "tool" in the main task bar opening an new
window in root or Xterm, so you can enter Xterm as root from the root
window! ;) )
- libc6 2.6-1ubuntu9 (needed by Ciao!)
- GTK+ 2.8 (needed by divers modern software)
- Wine 1.1.1
- java6 jre

- Open Office 3.0 RC (3.0.0 OOO300m8 build:9357)
- Firefox 3.0.3 and NVU (older version)
- Rosegarden 1.4.0 for musical working and Lilypond and tetex
- xara Xtreme 0.7 (1785) as I find xara faster and more usefully in
the daily usage as I already have a second nearly perfect drawing
system in Open Office 3.0 Draw
- Skype 2. for video phony

- swi-prolog, gnu-prolog and
- ciao prolog ( http://www.cliplab.org/Software/Ciao ) including the
Pillow Web Programming Library ( http://clip.dia.fi.upm.es/Software/pillow/pillow.html#pillow_doc
)

The only one thing I really miss is KDE 4 (I miss it because of the
really improved Kopete in it but a stand alone Kopete Version KDE 4
would be enough... Other messenger are absolutely not usefull any more
at all: Meebo do the same including webcam communication in an opened
second windows of Firefox!) and I have a little problem actually with
flash player because the installed system prefer Mozilla-flash-
player7- binary and actual public video of national TV-station require
the installation of flash-player-10-linux.deb and the dependences
require to uninstall a lot of good software (42 really important
packages!) from Kuliax 6.0, somewhat as a Linux nonsense ...

Kind regards

Iwan Setiawan

Nov 3, 2008, 5:40:21 PM11/3/08
to kul...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 02 November 2008 20:26:06 oui wrote:

> The only one thing I really miss is KDE 4 (I miss it because of the
> really improved Kopete in it but a stand alone Kopete Version KDE 4
> would be enough...

Yea, we really want to try kde4 too :D but i think kde3 is more usable than
kde4 for now if we look at the application supports, stability, and related.
KDE4 is for people who need more advanced desktop and application
technologies, more features, etc. Maybe neofreko has words about it.

If you want kopete kde4 version in debian, just install kde4, i mean
kopete-kde4 and its dependencies ;-) You can read this information in here:
http://kde4.debian.net/. This is backports for debian lenny, the next stable
version of debian (and base of kuliax 8.0 too).

> I have a little problem actually with flash player because the installed
> system prefer Mozilla-flash-> player7- binary and actual public video of
> national TV-station require the installation of flash-player-10-linux.deb
> and the dependences require to uninstall a lot of good software (42 really
> important packages!) from Kuliax 6.0, somewhat as a Linux nonsense ...

I think the way you mix programs from "deb" packages downloaded from multiple
sites give this kind of problem, some "conflicts". I suspect libc6
2.6-1ubuntu9 will get you more, as we can see this is package for
ubuntu and we know that there's some "uncompatibility".

If you just installed Kuliax 6.0, I suggest do dist-upgrade to at least debian
stable (etch) or if you want newer version of applications, use testing or
unstable, with some consenquences of course.

After dist-upgrade, always try to install applications from debian repository
and if you download some of them on the Internet choose debian version. If the
site don't have any, try install the ubuntu version if it is "compatible"
(just try it and see) or just use installer-script version of it for safe
bet. Wow so many if here.

Ok, the main problem: flash player. Visit http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/,
get tar.gz version of adobe flash player, extract, and run flash-installer.
Just send you mail to this list, if you need an assistance. This is the last
if for this e-mail.

--
I have been advised by Alan to treat the jiffy wraparound as a scheduled
maintenance event. I tend to trust bearded kernel hackers from Wales.

- Bert Hubert on linux-kernel