Donated repo question: use of Google CLA

Aaron Crickenberger

Mar 1, 2019, 10:45:56 PM3/1/19
to kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-si...@googlegroups.com, lin...@google.com
Hi all,

This is such a nit picky question, but because potential lawyercats I want to make sure this is OK.  I'm asking sig-release because they've got the licensing subproject.  I'm asking sig-architecture for historical context.

I have a repo for donation, and its contributors have all signed the CNCF CLA.  The repo _itself_ has the Google CLA bot covering it.  There are some boilerplate files that say "Copyright Google LLC"

This does not match the exact wording in our guidelines for donated repos: "Boilerplate text across all files should attribute copyright as follows: "Copyright <Project Authors>" if no CLA was in place prior to donation.  I dug up the origin of the wording: https://github.com/kubernetes/org/issues/551#issuecomment-468879184

To me, this repo seems to match the spirit of the wording, plus, Kubernetes used the Google CLA before it moved to the CNCF CLA.

Am I in the clear to accept as is or does something need to be changed prior to donation?

- aaron

Davanum Srinivas

Mar 1, 2019, 10:51:29 PM3/1/19
to Aaron Crickenberger, swin...@linuxfoundation.org, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-si...@googlegroups.com, lin...@google.com
cc Steve Winslow.

Steve,
guidance please!

Nikhita Raghunath

Mar 2, 2019, 2:03:38 AM3/2/19
to Davanum Srinivas, Aaron Crickenberger, Steve Winslow, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-si...@googlegroups.com, lin...@google.com
> Am I in the clear to accept as is or does something need to be changed prior to donation?

Steve Winslow (from LF) had mentioned that there are restrictions on _who_ can make changes to the copyright wording in these cases and also that LF/CNCF has some suggestions around what boilerplate header to use.

From a licensing subproject perspective, I would prefer to wait with the migration until we hear from Steve.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kubernetes-sig-architecture" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-sig-architecture/CANw6fcHM9gcoj0vzDC1echZAuLZtCoQg_qmyTzQ3h%2BS0RggWeQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Aaron Crickenberger

Mar 2, 2019, 11:38:03 AM3/2/19
to Steve Winslow, Nikhita Raghunath, Davanum Srinivas, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-sig-architecture, lin...@google.com
(sorry for the double-reply kubernetes-sig-release, I should have done this from e-mail instead)

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 4:56:01 AM UTC-8, Steve Winslow wrote:
I think there's two questions here: (1) can Kubernetes pull in the repo given the CLAs that applied to it; (2) what if anything should change with the copyright notices.

For 1, I think this is fine to pull in. Looking at the contributions to that repo, @listx has made all commits that contributed content (the other two commits were solely deleting content).
Given that, and the use of the Google CLA previously, _and_ Aaron's confirmation that the contributors have signed the CNCF CLA separately anyway, I'm not troubled by pulling this in, as long as the CNCF CLA bot is turned on going forward.

FWIW pulling a repo into any Kubernetes org will automatically enable the CNCF CLA bot.

Would also greatly appreciate a quick comment from @listx in the Github comments thread, to say that they are contributing this repo now to Kubernetes under the CNCF CLA. Might seem redundant but grateful if @listx can just confirm there for the record.

I'm interested in how we can make this less redundant going forward.  Can we say that opening a ticket to migrate a repo into Kubernetes implies an understanding that all future contributions will be made under the CNCF CLA?  Or, should we add an explicit confirmation question to the ticket?

For 2, if there are existing files that say "Copyright Google LLC", it would be preferable if someone from Google can change those to the standard "Kubernetes Authors" header. I think this is OK to happen post-contribution, I don't see this as a gating item before it comes in, in this instance. Would prefer someone from Google to make the change, or at least authorize it being changed, because we want to avoid modifying a third-party's copyright notice.

Whether this was gating prior to migration was my main concern.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Happy to clarify if any questions. Thanks,
Steve

- aaron

--
Steve Winslow
Director of Strategic Programs

Stephen Augustus

Mar 2, 2019, 12:32:59 PM3/2/19
to Steve Winslow, Aaron Crickenberger, Nikhita Raghunath, Davanum Srinivas, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-sig-architecture, lin...@google.com
Agreed that we should doc this for posterity.
We should also explicitly mention it on the repo migration template.

I can work on that next week.

-- Stephen

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019, 12:10 Steve Winslow <swin...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
Thanks and apologies, I had missed that the original submission in kubernetes/org to pull this in was already coming from @listx. My mistake. I think that's sufficient, no need for the separate statement I had described.