mason bees

2 vues

Steve Potratz

non lue,
31 mars 2016, 10:21:1831/03/2016
à kpc...@googlegroups.com

I recently learned about mason bees, easier to take care of, don’t make honey, just a pollinator.   There is even a company on the coast the rents them and when they go into hibernation you send them back.

https://rentmasonbees.com/shop/

Does anyone know if this kind of service is available in our area, sounds like a great low maintenance way to increase pollinators.

Steve

Steve Moring

non lue,
1 avr. 2016, 13:11:5401/04/2016
à kpc...@googlegroups.com
Steve,   There are many species of mason bee in our region.   To attract them I just put out brooding tubes that I purchased from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply in California.  See http://www.groworganic.com/search#q=mason%20bee%20hives&p=1
This is my second year doing this and I have a small colony established.

Steve Moring
~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

Steve Potratz

non lue,
1 avr. 2016, 15:22:3801/04/2016
à kpc...@googlegroups.com

Nice, maybe I should figure out the right drill size and make a bunch of holes in a nearby dead tree.

Ben Stallings

non lue,
1 avr. 2016, 15:25:5401/04/2016
à kpc...@googlegroups.com
Alternatively, you can make paper tubes the right size by rolling strips of a paper bag around a pencil and taping them into shape. Then pack the tubes together in an open-sided container (I used a juice can) and mount it under an eave.  --Ben

Nathan

non lue,
1 avr. 2016, 16:05:2101/04/2016
à kpc...@googlegroups.com
Steve Moring,

Did those mason bees populate the logs with holes drilled in them in your north garden? I planned to do that this next coming week around here, but if it didnt work for you, I may try something else.
All the best,
Nathan.

Confidentiality Notice:

This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and is legally privileged.

This transmission may contain confidential or privileged information, which is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which the transmission is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all attachments from your system entirely.

Joan L Duggan

non lue,
1 avr. 2016, 16:59:0701/04/2016
à kpc...@googlegroups.com
You can also use soda straws, they work great.

Joan Duggan

Steve Moring

non lue,
2 avr. 2016, 12:07:2902/04/2016
à kpc...@googlegroups.com
Nathan, at al,

On my first try to create a mason hive I cut 6 inch sections of 4 x 4" cedar posts and drilled about 30 holes into the end with a long 5/16" drill bit.  The holes were about 5.5" deep.  It turned out to be a lot of work.  I got the greatest satisfaction just by buying the bee tube nests from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply (see link below).  The bees populated about 1/2 of the holes in two blocks.

Steve M

Whitney Chaplin

non lue,
3 avr. 2016, 02:28:5103/04/2016
à kpc...@googlegroups.com
bamboo works. If you have some, even bamboo laying around for whatever reason.
Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer
0 nouveau message