Mushroom ID

Steve Potratz

Apr 1, 2016, 11:57:53 AM4/1/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com

Anyone want to take a stab at IDing the new growth in my Garden?

image001.jpg
image002.jpg

d o u g d u b o i s

Apr 1, 2016, 12:11:51 PM4/1/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Cool, we can ask for plant IDs here?

I have a feeling I should be embarrassed for having to ask, but I can't find this
"weed" in my books, and I have a lot of it this year. What is this?

Doug
whatami.jpg

Farm Party

Apr 1, 2016, 12:33:06 PM4/1/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I always call it Wild Sorrel, but I could definitely be wrong!

~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

Steve Moring

Apr 1, 2016, 1:04:44 PM4/1/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I have seen this too. This is a young biannual and it may be too early
to tell. I suspicious that it may be a very young curly dock.

Steve Moring

Laura Odell

Apr 2, 2016, 12:42:52 AM4/2/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com

Take it to the extension office for positive ID.

audrey klopper

Apr 2, 2016, 12:52:32 AM4/2/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
lactuca virosa,- wild lettuce!

Subject: [KPC-Dev] Plant ID
To: kpc...@googlegroups.com
Date: Friday, April 1, 2016, 10:11 AM

Stephanie Dallam

Apr 3, 2016, 10:50:51 AM4/3/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
No need to be embarrassed. It is hard to id plants without a bloom.
It is not curly dock. It looks like it might be a wild lettuce. See the spines on the sides starting to form on the sides?
Cut a piece and see if it has a milky sap in it. If it does, it is most likely wild lettuce.

Stephanie

Dan Bentley

Apr 3, 2016, 11:13:09 AM4/3/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Stephanie on this.  Looks like one of the many plants commonly called wild lettuce.  Let us know how it turns out as it develops.  Dan Bentley

Gwen Wolfe

Apr 4, 2016, 10:52:06 AM4/4/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Stephanie--it's likely wild lettuce.

Terry Sullivan

Apr 4, 2016, 12:32:54 PM4/4/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I will go to root away
The noisome weeds which without profit suck
The soil's fertility from wholesome flowers.

Shakespeare

From the back cover of the 1941 report of the Kansas Board of Agriculture
WEEDS IN KANSAS

Looks like wild mustard to me. yellow flowers. tastes mustardie

see Fig. 177 or 178  Quite a few wild mustards

Kraft Marty

Apr 4, 2016, 12:39:18 PM4/4/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
There is an older woman who comes to my garden in the spring to pick it. She calls it wild lettuce and i think she boils it. She visited Friday.

Plants that i can’t identify i send a photo to an extension agent and usually they can identify it.

Marty
~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.
<whatami.jpg>

Marty Kraft
Please respond to global warming in your own way. Let care of nature become second nature.

d o u g d u b o i s

Apr 7, 2016, 1:43:02 AM4/7/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone, I'm thinking wild lettuce is correct. It does have a milky sap to it. Smells like lettuce, and the taste raw isn't half-bad. I think it would make a nice addition to some other greens in a salad. Interesting to read about the alleged sedative/psychotropic properties.

The barn dance I tried to throw last Saturday got postponed to Saturday, April 30 because of weather. Flyer is attached.

Following that, the next events at Brushy Run are:

Paul Sprawl concert -- May 14
Homestead Hoedown and Fiddlers' Reunion -- June 4

Y'all come!

Doug

On 4/4/2016 9:52 AM, Gwen Wolfe wrote:
2016-0430 dance flyer.jpg