You Can Graft Fruit Trees! Join Us for our Summer Grafting Workshop.

s a

Aug 5, 2015, 3:37:38 PM8/5/15
to KPC-Dev Google Groups), grow...@listserv.ksu.edu, kcfood...@gmail.com, commongro...@googlegroups.com, Michael Almon, Michael Almon, kawco...@yahoogroups.com, List-serve - Transition KC, List-serve - Food Not Lawns KC

View this email in your browser

You Can Graft Fruit Trees!
Join Us for our Summer Grafting Workshop.

   Would you like to learn the art of grafting? It's part of the process of making a new fruit tree. Lawrence Fruit Tree Project wants to teach you how to make more trees for an abundant future!

   Join us Wednesday August 12th and Thursday August 13th from 5:45 p.m to 8:00 p.m. at Lawrence Community Orchard to learn chip budding, a type of grafting done in mid to late summer.

 The class will begin with the theory and science behind grafting. Then we will be doing lots of hands-on practice making grafting cuts. Finally, students will graft onto rootstocks in the nursery. The goal is that students will walk away from the workshop with the skills and confidence to do their own grafting in the future.

   A 25 dollar donation for the class is suggested. But no one will be turned away for the lack of funds. For safety concerns, you must be 18 years of age or older to attend this workshop. You will need to have the ability to kneel for extended periods and have good strength and dexterity in both hands.

   You must RSVP with your name and phone number to reserve a place in the workshop. Just send a reply email to lawrencefrui...@gmail.com

Q. What is grafting?

A. Grafting is a technique that botanists, farmers, gardeners and hobbyists use to add living tissue from one plant to another. This is a way to reproduce plants asexually.

Q. What is the purpose of grafting?

A.
Grafting has a lot of benefits. Let's say a certain tree has really strong roots, but its fruit isn't so great. This tree would make a great rootstock. It can be combined with another tree that doesn't have good roots, but produces wonderful fruit. Plants that are selected for their stems, flowers, or fruit are called the scion. This combination of rootstock and scion can create a tree with the best of both attributes.

Q. Why should I learn how to graft?

A. Grafting trees is a skill that is needed in any community. When we graft trees we can reproduce trees at low cost, we can propagate selected local trees that do well in our environment, and we can change an established tree from one variety to another. Grafting is also a lot of fun!

Visit the Lawrence Fruit Tree Project website at https://lawrencefruittreeproject.wordpress.com/
Lawrence Community Orchard is located on the far east end of Garfield Street in East Lawrence neighborhood.
View map here Lawrence Community Orchard.
Walking and biking to the orchard are encouraged. Please park cars on Delaware street.
Please email with any questions.

This email was sent to tree...@yahoo.com
Lawrence Fruit Tree Project · 1022 New Jersey St · Lawrence, Ks 66044 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp